Stall converter or cam swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tamcphail89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 05 Escalade 6.0 LQ9 2WD with 3.73's. Long tubes and y pipe are my only performance mods so far. I have a corvette servo and tru cool 40k as well.

I don't have the funds right now to do both a cam swap and stall converter. So I'm trying to decide which would be the better bang for the buck right now? I plan on at least a 3000 stall and I was looking at the truck Norris cam but mostly cause I could get away with the factory converter. If I stall it now, I can get away with a bigger cam down the road.

This is my daily driver. I don't tow but maybe 3 times a year and nothing heavy. I want more usable power down low where this heavy pig needs it

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have the funds right now to do both a cam swap and stall converter. ...I want more usable power down low where this heavy pig needs it

Your wants and plans conflict. A cam to provide more usable power down low won't need a high stall (3K is quite high in these). A looser stall is to allow the engine to quickly rev into the upper RPM where a mid- to upper-RPM power cam would start producing- exactly the cam you don't want. A slightly looser stall helps a stock vehicle get moving, but only marginally looser than stock. To directly answer your question, I'd go for the cam if you want low-end power and won't miss any lack of top-end gains. If its not enough, you can get a slightly looser stall later. Proper engine and trans tuning is key!

Having said that, I rarely ever tow and, when I do, it's never anything heavy. I have a similar setup as yours, details and mods listed in sig. I have a cam made for "minimal" loss of low-end and noticeable increase in mid- and upper-end power. I matched it with a CircleD 2600-2800 stall. It's designed to not act like such a "loose" stall. It feels really stockish when driving normally but when romping on it, it'll flash to 2800-3000. I also bumped the compression about half a point to increase power across the board, including making up for any low-end loss the cam might've brought. So, I don't believe I've lost anything going with a slightly wilder cam than a "low-end torque truck cam". It serves my purposes just fine. Mine's not a daily driver, but a weekend toy that sees more highway than anything. For a daily, and especially in the city, I would put a looser stall last on my list.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think after talking to my tune guy, I'm gonna cam it and tune it for 91 and be done for a while

GM left a lot to be desired in the factory tune, especially with the trans tuning. A GOOD tune on an otherwise stock engine will yield noticeable positive results. So, with a cam, your headers and being able to turn up the wick a hair on 91, you should be pretty happy for a while.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gonna go with the s sloppy stage 2
A ss2 in a suv is a bad idea. You said you want "usable " power.... get either the BTR Torque cam or Truck Norris cam. The Sloppy cams are great if you are going to race all the time and wind the engine out to 6500. Dont cripple your rig with a cam that needs a 3000 to 3200 stall.

OP
OP
T

Tamcphail89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A ss2 in a suv is a bad idea. You said you want "usable " power.... get either the BTR Torque cam or Truck Norris cam. The Sloppy cams are great if you are going to race all the time and wind the engine out to 6500. Dont cripple your rig with a cam that needs a 3000 to 3200 stall.
Wasn't the ss2 the one that numerous tests showed gains across the board in a 6.0?

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Screenshot_20220909-094055_Chrome.jpgss2 in red
truck norris in blue.
Loose about 25 lb ft in cruise rpms and dont out hp till 5000+.
I would not put an SS2 in an SUV unless it was geared with a 4.11 or better and a stall, even then man... you need a 3000k converter in my opinion. Yeah guys say they CAN use a stock stall, but why.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wasn't the ss2 the one that numerous tests showed gains across the board in a 6.0?

The SS2 might be "no loss of low-end", but I don't really believe that. Even if it was, it's still not a gain of low end, which is really what you should aim for in a 5,500lb., 4-speed SUV and because it sounded like you wanted. "Stock" low end with a strong mid- and upper-end charge will make that stock low-end feel like it's a total slug. You'll constantly be winding it out to feel that new power and be wishing you had more pull off the line and be itching for a loose stall, lower gears, etc.- completely defying your original modus operandi to chase a poor cam choice.

OP
OP
T

Tamcphail89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The SS2 might be "no loss of low-end", but I don't really believe that. Even if it was, it's still not a gain of low end, which is really what you should aim for in a 5,500lb., 4-speed SUV and because it sounded like you wanted. "Stock" low end with a strong mid- and upper-end charge will make that stock low-end feel like it's a total slug. You'll constantly be winding it out to feel that new power and be wishing you had more pull off the line and be itching for a loose stall, lower gears, etc.- completely defying your original modus operandi to chase a poor cam choice.
I guess I should say a really big reason I'm thinking the ss2 is because my buddy is a wholesale guy for them and I can get one with pac 1218 springs for a couple hundred less than the truck Norris etc.

I originally looked into the stage 2 nsr cams but I figured I was gonna replace springs anyways so why not go more aggressive. I really like the reviews of the truck Norris but cost plays a big factor in my decision

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14