Source for a “Better” 6L80

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I specifically used a local shop where the owner has the knowledge to rebuild a transmission himself. The owner works full time as a diesel school bus mechanic for our school district. He goes to his shop after work for a few hours every day.

Fortunately, or unfortunately my trans rebuild wasn’t a success the first time. An internal clip related to a pump failed and within a month it was dying again. I simply dropped it off again and 10 days later he rebuilt my Orig 09 Escalade trans for the 2nd time. It’s a stock rebuild and smooth like butter.

The COVID supply chain debacle when parts like chips and motors dried up is why I stayed local and had a local diesel tech do the job vs getting a rebuilt unit sent in to the shop. I never called to bug him. I’d just stop by and see the progress which he loved because he didn’t have to stop to answer the phone and could show me vs. tell me what’s going on.

All the warranty is on him and his parts that he sourced personally. He’s got 1st hand knowledge of all the suppliers and vendors. In spite of the failure, it was still one of the best experiences I’ve ever had on a repair because he hit and serviced every part and component associated with the trans for another $1.5k that saved me at least that much in labor, plus he let me source my own parts. Local rules if you can do it.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what did you wind up doing ? mine blew last night on 95. I'm trying to figure out the same things you were... I'm just in front of the horse.

Nothing. I just decided we will drive it until it until it gets worse. I don’t know what I’ll do then, probably just buy the GM transmission. I wanted to find a core and have it rebuilt with better stuff but cores are $1500, which is insane, and then I’ll still have to deal with getting rid of mine.

Reaction score
Nothing. I just decided we will drive it until it until it gets worse. I don’t know what I’ll do then, probably just buy the GM transmission. I wanted to find a core and have it rebuilt with better stuff but cores are $1500, which is insane, and then I’ll still have to deal with getting rid of mine.
$1500 for a core? Wow, that is insane. It should rebuild itself for that price. I typically pay $300-$400 for them depending on early vs late.

What's going on with yours?

You can check out my 6L80 thread which has a parts list for when you go to have it rebuilt.