Source for a “Better” 6L80

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t finished diagnosing that I for sure need a transmission yet in my 2013 but I just have a bad feeling so I’m going ahead and researching my options. I don’t think fixing what I have is an option due to time. I need a rebuilt unit I can slam in and be done in a few hours. Ideally, I’d love a mildly “built” unit that has the common issues fixed and/or upgraded but I’m not looking to pay a fortune for it since the truck is stock. My fallback is just getting a GM transmission since it has a 3 year warranty good at any dealer in the country.

So far, I’ve found Monster Transmissions that offers an off the shelf but I’m not sure if they’re actually good or if they just spend tons of money on advertising like Fram so people think they’re good. I also found TKR Performance that is reasonably priced but there isn’t much out there I can find about them.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PATC trans in Louisiana is who I've had very good experiences with...
They built my current
Converter... but I've had them built 4L80E for me
and 700R4 "built" trans with success... They have an informative website... but
not the easiest to navigate !!
My 6L80 in my yukon now I ordered all the "hard parts" from Cirlce D (not the converter
company) and had my local builder do it all. I spent a shitload of money on it since
I wanted to tow big weight with a supercharged 6.2 so went for the bulletproof option...
As you know, the converter is the weak point.. I think a stockish build with the sonnax
upgrades will fit most people with a "good" converter...
Mine is just a rebuilt stock one from PATC with the upgraded clutch and 1800 stall

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To add: Monster Trans used to be called something else years ago (they are in Florida still
I think)
I personally won't trust any of their stuff... they spend all their $$ on advertising/etc

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PATC trans in Louisiana is who I've had very good experiences with...
They built my current
Converter... but I've had them built 4L80E for me
and 700R4 "built" trans with success... They have an informative website... but
not the easiest to navigate !!
My 6L80 in my yukon now I ordered all the "hard parts" from Cirlce D (not the converter
company) and had my local builder do it all. I spent a shitload of money on it since
I wanted to tow big weight with a supercharged 6.2 so went for the bulletproof option...
As you know, the converter is the weak point.. I think a stockish build with the sonnax
upgrades will fit most people with a "good" converter...
Mine is just a rebuilt stock one from PATC with the upgraded clutch and 1800 stall

I found Circle D transmissions web site and I really like what they have to offer but they only do builds with your transmission that you send in and send back. I could have the transmission guy at work build it, but I don't know what is different about using their parts vs building it with stock parts. Whenever I try to do stuff like this, it usually turns into a shit show and that's fine if something turns to crap that I'm trying to do for myself, but I don't want to involve anyone else, particularly someone who is trying to help me out. This is my wife's vehicle for all the kids, and I don't want them in mine for weeks straight to send this transmission in and wait to get it back, so that is why an off-the-shelf unit or at least built-to-order unit would be ideal and then I'll just send mine back as a core. Plus, their $3500 price doesn't include a torque converter or TCM or any hard parts so the price could skyrocket quickly. What sucks is I spent $500 on a billet CVC torque converter and Sonnax Zip Kit for this transmission hoping it would fix it, and I guess I will basically loose those parts doing it this way though. I just know if I'm replacing the unit, I can drive it to work, slam it in, and drive it home the same day.

I don't need big power handling for this truck since it will likely never be much more than stock. If it never has lifter failure, it will probably stay stock forever, and if it does have lifter failure, it will probably only get a VERY mild cam. I just wanted a transmission that might have better parts that will shift nicer and whatnot but I know the 6L80 doesn't really have too much issue with sloppy operation like the old 4L's did. If used transmissions weren't stupid money these days, I'd buy a used one and build it or have it built but then I'd be stuck with my old one and I don't like selling stuff of FB marketplace that I can't pickup by my self to meet someone somewhere.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To add: Monster Trans used to be called something else years ago (they are in Florida still
I think)
I personally won't trust any of their stuff... they spend all their $$ on advertising/etc

Good to know. I know they used to advertise heavily on all the Power Block/Nation TV shows years ago so I had a feeling it was all advertising. Like all the Shark vacuum cleaners topping every comparison video out there but all the comments say they're trash and don't last.

Caddylack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for the record:

I have a 6L90E core that I would sell.

It might be worth it to buy the core and then have a shop rebuild/warranty it. Then you can install yourself.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found Circle D transmissions web site and I really like what they have to offer but they only do builds with your transmission that you send in and send back. I could have the transmission guy at work build it, but I don't know what is different about using their parts vs building it with stock parts. Whenever I try to do stuff like this, it usually turns into a shit show and that's fine if something turns to crap that I'm trying to do for myself, but I don't want to involve anyone else, particularly someone who is trying to help me out. This is my wife's vehicle for all the kids, and I don't want them in mine for weeks straight to send this transmission in and wait to get it back, so that is why an off-the-shelf unit or at least built-to-order unit would be ideal and then I'll just send mine back as a core. Plus, their $3500 price doesn't include a torque converter or TCM or any hard parts so the price could skyrocket quickly. What sucks is I spent $500 on a billet CVC torque converter and Sonnax Zip Kit for this transmission hoping it would fix it, and I guess I will basically loose those parts doing it this way though. I just know if I'm replacing the unit, I can drive it to work, slam it in, and drive it home the same day.

I don't need big power handling for this truck since it will likely never be much more than stock. If it never has lifter failure, it will probably stay stock forever, and if it does have lifter failure, it will probably only get a VERY mild cam. I just wanted a transmission that might have better parts that will shift nicer and whatnot but I know the 6L80 doesn't really have too much issue with sloppy operation like the old 4L's did. If used transmissions weren't stupid money these days, I'd buy a used one and build it or have it built but then I'd be stuck with my old one and I don't like selling stuff of FB marketplace that I can't pickup by my self to meet someone somewhere.
You should just find a local place to build your current trans or build a seperate one and use
yours as a core return...
since a stock trans is all you really need, just do a good converter(better clutch) and
the sonnax upgrades and you are good to go !!
The biggest things in these 6L80E's is that the factory "tune" really sucks.
You could prob get over double the life if you had a new stock one and just did
the trans tune.. It really makes a HUGE difference. I really enjoy my 6l80 now
that I have it the way I Want it.. And I know it'll outlast most everything else on the Yukon

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To add, the circle D parts are prob overkill for what you are doing... Yeah, it would last
forever but the $$$ isn't really worth it in your situation
You might be able to scour FB or Craigs list and find a decent core/used trans and
have your local shop rebuild it.. Then just sell your used one outright or as a core to recoup some $$

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know. I know they used to advertise heavily on all the Power Block/Nation TV shows years ago so I had a feeling it was all advertising. Like all the Shark vacuum cleaners topping every comparison video out there but all the comments say they're trash and don't last.
i had also heard monster wasnt worth what the hype it up to be.
rebuilt gm and returning the core used to be a smokin deal ended up being like 2500bux with the 3 year warranty, not sure if thats still the case
i still have the one that came out of mine sitting here that needs rebuilt. there are a lot of upgraded parts for them now, but even a stock build with a nice tune on it works awesome with 600ish hp in my experience.
the trans shop i use for my built to hell 4l80 doesnt really advertise rebuilding them but i asked about the one i have laying around and they said bring it down and theyd have no problem - https://www.atfspeed.com/

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You can reuse the CVC converter you recently installed on the new build. It'll save you some money and will still outlast a stock converter, IMHO.