Source for a “Better” 6L80

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What exactly in the transmission tune will double the life? I just had the truck tuned by PCM of NC before Christmas. I didn’t really ask questions but they did mention the TCC won’t lockup until 3rd so my problem at least wouldn’t be caused by that.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rebuilt gm and returning the core used to be a smokin deal ended up being like 2500bux with the 3 year warranty, not sure if thats still the case

It was about 2 years ago. It’s about $3500 now.

flaglor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do NOT buy from Monster Transmission. I am currently going through Heck with a Ford AOD transmission that they sold me for my 1968 Mustang. They brag about customer service, but I can tell you that its complete BS. Once they have your money there is NO customer service. Absolutely awful.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What exactly in the transmission tune will double the life? I just had the truck tuned by PCM of NC before Christmas. I didn’t really ask questions but they did mention the TCC won’t lockup until 3rd so my problem at least wouldn’t be caused by that.
It has to do with the lock up strategy and getting rid of the lock up totally in gears 1-3 (which
is stupid btw).. And getting rid of the "slip" in the slip tables. It commands up to 20% slip when just cruising down the road.. this is why the converter clutch can't last. Also adjusting shift points, etc and some torque management stuff

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can reuse the CVC converter you recently installed on the new build. It'll save you some money and will still outlast a stock converter, IMHO.

The only problem with this is that if I do end up buying the GM unit or another complete unit that comes with a torque converter, I can't do anything to it or the warranty will be void. I can't keep the torque converter because the core unit has to be complete. I didn't think to ask to keep all the OEM valve body parts either, so I'll have to leave the zip kit as well.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has to do with the lock up strategy and getting rid of the lock up totally in gears 1-3 (which
is stupid btw).. And getting rid of the "slip" in the slip tables. It commands up to 20% slip when just cruising down the road.. this is why the converter clutch can't last. Also adjusting shift points, etc and some torque management stuff

PCM of NC has been around a long time so I'm sure that is what they did maybe with some slight variation. I know for sure they said it doesn't lock up in 1-3 because I asked them to look at a datalog and see if they could see anything that might cause my issue before I waste a ton of time trying to diagnose it. I think this issue has been there but I only figured out more exact details while stuck in traffic driving it for Florida. Sometimes it feels like a shudder but a couple of times it almost felt more like a "wobble" feeling but it only seems to happen in 1st gear from 1400-1600 RPM and if you accelerate too slowly or too quickly, it won't do it. I can't tell if it does it in other gears because you really can't get the engine speed that low in 2nd gear and get any load on it. Since the TCC doesn't lock up in 1st, it can't be that. Our transmission guy said really the only thing he could think of was an issue with the 1-2-3-4 clutch but then it should do it in 1st-4th gears. I still swear I can feel an occasional surge on the highway, but it could also be the tires reacting to the road. I also may be looking too hard for something just because I've felt like this transmission hasn't been "right" since we've owned this truck (as compared to the 2012 Denali we sold and my 2008 Escalade) and just automatically assuming it needs a transmission because I've felt like it would need one any time. It does have 176k miles so that also doesn't help the assumption.

tdebacker

Reaction score
As previously mentioned, Circle D will be my go to if my 6L80 ever has any issues or needs a rebuild.

They make the go-to torque converters for these transmissions.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just find the best shop around and have them rebuild it, tell them you want a billet converter and request it be built for 500hp that pretty much tells them it needs to be stout.
just lie and say I plan on putting a supercharger on it and I want the transmission to be able to handle that.
then you have a local warranty and nothing to worry about.
a good shop will know what needs to be done, if you do not hear things like extra welds, extra clutch's, non shrinking check balls, etc then just walk away and find another shop.
there is a term called rebuilt which is bare minimum work required to be called "rebuilt" you don't want the bare minimum, you want it done right.
if you buy from somewhere online or out of town, ya you might have a warranty but you will have to jump thru there hoops if anything crops up later

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Foggy do you know off-hand if PATC does installs, too? I could be convinced to drive over and have them do their thing while I’m the boats! :D

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Foggy do you know off-hand if PATC does installs, too? I could be convinced to drive over and have them do their thing while I’m the boats! :D
I know they used to for sure. I've been there a couple of times for converters.
They are in bossier la (if I remember)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz