Sound like a good deal to you?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go for the big box for that price. (600) High dollar tool boxes there, not quite Snap On but close.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont waste my time with high dollar boxes. in the last 2 places ive been maintenance you end up pushing the toolbox everywhere. heavier duty box just means more weight to push. ive been using regular craftsman boxes i buy during thier toolbox sales. last one was 2 yrs ago 40" craftsman table top box so i could have a rolling workspace. my top drawer of my basic craftsman box has holding all my 1/4 drive up to my 3/4 drive ratchet set. and my 3/4 set goes from 7/8 up to 2 1/2. ive had it for 2 yrs now and still looks perfect besides the hole in the one deep drawer. forklift driver smashed into it. ofcourse its another reason why i dont buy good boxes but i dont see the need for the extra cost of higher dollar boxes. ive had a snap on box before and it was nice but ill never waste that kind of cash again.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bunch of guys at my last place were using the us general boxes. one guy had the tool cart like that one and another had the bottom box about the same size as the tool cart just more storage. top was sturdy af too

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harbor freight’s US General brand tool chests/carts/boxes aren’t that bad. In the plant that I work, a lot of our machine assemblers have them.

One thing that seems to be common across most of the non-Snap-On level boxes at my plant is they will get better quality casters for their rolling tool chests/carts/boxes.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya my last plant it was required so they bought us the wheels and gave us the time to properly fit them. monster green wheels with some kind of hard rubber or something. rolls over just about everything.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the US General tech cart (~$150 from the store) and mechanic's cart ($40 or $60 off Craigslist), both the 30" models. I don't see how I'd break them with my normal home shop/garage use. They roll fine, the drawers slide fine when loaded and the carts hold their square- no flimsy twisting crap. Even if a drawer slide or caster were to eventually wear out, replacing those parts or even the whole cart would still be cheaper than a cart from Cornwell, Snap-On, Matco, etc. for essentially the same box. If I were in the market for a roller cabinet, I'd get the one from US General as well. The one thing I did alter on my tech cart when I was assembling it was to use better hardware when bolting the casters on cuz I over-tightened one and snapped it. I could've replaced just that one but I wanted all of them to match. I bought my mechanic's cart used and it was assembled with the included hardware and it all seems fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157