SOLVED: Another misfire chasing threads (2008 express van)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want the cat to show close to the same temp at front middle and back.
So driver side is reading like 350ish front/middle then over 500 at the back of the cat right where it welds into the exhaust pipe. I would think a blockage would be hotter in the front. But what do I know

Passenger side is a little more consistent like 400ish through the whole cat.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
So driver side is reading like 350ish front/middle then over 500 at the back of the cat right where it welds into the exhaust pipe. I would think a blockage would be hotter in the front. But what do I know

Passenger side is a little more consistent like 400ish through the whole cat.
I'd say it's a little clogged. Hollow that beyotch.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You have a problem with drivers side cat. If I was doing it, both would be replaced but is your call and unless sensors are relatively new, I would do all sensors, too.

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is what caused it. You repair it as you see fit.
My tester is showing 8-11 psi back pressure at the 02 sensor closest to engine when revving engine. Definitely some restriction

It’s actually showing 0.06 - 0.08 MPA but that converts to 8-11 psi

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got around to “fixing” the exhaust. I intended on getting to both sides tonight but I was only able to attack the driver side. I’m about 4 1/2 hours into this project. The bolts on the exhaust flange were so rusty that of course I broke 2 and had to grind off the 3rd… getting the studs out of the manifold was another nightmare. Had to run to Home Depot and get the most expensive drill bits they had just to drill out the studs.

I will say though. She’s running like a r*ped ape now with no restrictions

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Tonyrodz does your van sound a lot louder after you removed the cat?

I assumed it was a leak then I went under tonight finished the rear clamp and double checked everything. I got a throaty exhaust now lol. I don’t hate it but in a van it just sounds broken not so rowdy like a truck would

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
@Tonyrodz does your van sound a lot louder after you removed the cat?

I assumed it was a leak then I went under tonight finished the rear clamp and double checked everything. I got a throaty exhaust now lol. I don’t hate it but in a van it just sounds broken not so rowdy like a truck would

A little. Cats kind of act like mufflers. When I gutted the cat on my 01 it sounded really throaty, nice growl when you romped on it. Race van lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts