SOLVED: Another misfire chasing threads (2008 express van)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You didn't get all them youngsters by being slow....
That's a fact. Ain't got no time for d1ddle daddling around. Get in, get out, get back to dad bidness :roflbow:

EDIT: yes, apparently d i d d l e is a "blocked word" on TYF :happy175: BRB, gotta go change that real quick :banghead:

EDIT 2: And after perusing that list, don't none of y'all potty mouths even THINK about saying a dang thing about "thvndercvnts". We ain't got no time for that in the TYF list of profanities!!

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still working out a few kinks but overall engine is running great

Apparently I didn’t line up the timing cover correctly and have a leak through the front crank seal…

What centering tool do you guys recommend? I didn’t use a tool I used the balancer itself to center the cover and now I see it didn’t work.. Do I have to drop the oil pan again? What about the rubber gasket for the timing cover? Reuse or toss it? Was just installed a couple weeks ago

Minor leak but I want to address it sooner than later

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks:(

I don't think you have to drop the oil pan unless it was far enough out of alignment to make the cover not sit flush when you reinstall. Me personally, I'd probably replace the front seal, just to eliminate any chances of it being disfigured form being misaligned for a bit. Cheap insurance. Also, don't forget to dab a bit sealant on the corners.

I have the Alignit tools from Sac City Corvette

I bought the pretty aluminum ones because, well, they're pretty. The plastic ones seem to work ok as well

Edit: here are some pics. They seem to be very high quality. Being they're aluminum, you'll still need to care for them gently so they don't get dinged up

BBB455B0-B60F-49ED-9EFD-52581EC333DA.jpeg7DF53287-A946-4548-9651-73344B9A7FAF.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks:(

I don't think you have to drop the oil pan unless it was far enough out of alignment to make the cover not sit flush when you reinstall. Me personally, I'd probably replace the front seal, just to eliminate any chances of it being disfigured form being misaligned for a bit. Cheap insurance. Also, don't forget to dab a bit sealant on the corners.

I have the Alignit tools from Sac City Corvette

I bought the pretty aluminum ones because, well, they're pretty. The plastic ones seem to work ok as well

Edit: here are some pics. They seem to be very high quality. Being they're aluminum, you'll still need to care for them gently so they don't get dinged up

View attachment 357401View attachment 357402
Yeah I intended on replacing the seal again. Thanks. I seen the sac city brand on other forums. Just wasn’t sure if the different LS configurations had different alignment tools

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I intended on replacing the seal again. Thanks. I seen the sac city brand on other forums. Just wasn’t sure if the different LS configurations had different alignment tools
As far as I know, they're all the same. And sorry, I read that too fast and didn't catch that you were asking about the timing cover gasket. Honestly, Id say it would be fine...others may have a different opinion though. @randeez @iamdub what's your opinion?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, they're all the same. And sorry, I read that too fast and didn't catch that you were asking about the timing cover gasket. Honestly, Id say it would be fine...others may have a different opinion though. @randeez @iamdub what's your opinion?
the more I read it. I keep asking myself. Is $30 worth the risk? The water pump gaskets are cheap too. It’s Dejavu all over again lol

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So no surprise the express van has been acting up lately.

Symptoms: cylinder 8 misfire only in the morning. Literally only in the morning. I cannot reproduce the problem throughout the day even if the truck sits on the job for 8 hours. Won’t throw a CEL. It just reads cyl 8 mis pending on the OBD scanner. Then it eventually smooths out.

Tonight I got around to checking out the coil and wires and I couldn’t believe my cylinder 8 wire was pretty much deteriorating internally. The ceramic part that connects to the coil pack pretty much crumbled away and the connector that connects to the plug broke off.. the plugs are about a year old. So I ran to autozone unfortunately because I need wires now. Replaced all 8 while I was in there and 5 of 8 broke during removal. Total junk. I’m pretty hopeful that crap wire was the cause of the misfire and I got it under control again

ouch! Every brand on rock auto including GM original parts are cheaper than what I paid for the junk at autozone. Ordering now so I don’t run into this problem again next year

B0420B58-6D82-49AA-A8E6-C26706FD8FB9.jpegB1588448-9831-4DB6-8CBF-7EA630CBFD11.jpegBF33F3F7-CCE0-4B37-B327-C2CE43DC0AC0.jpeg734B727A-1B26-45BD-8DC1-5F6FF144D775.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14