Snow Traction on 21 GMC Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Berkey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I live in Oregon and need chains (or an alternative) when driving in certain areas. Reading the manual it looks like chains are prohibited on the Yukon. I'm looking into Auto Socks. Anyone have any recommendations on chains/cables or alternatives? Anyone have experience with Auto Socks?

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not owned a set of chains, or any other traction aid for over 30 years. We had a cabin in Lake Tahoe and traversed Donner, Echo and Kit Carson pass many times each season, many of those times in blinding snow storms.

During those years we owned either a 4WD Suburban or Yukon, always shod with appropriate tires and never couldn’t get through.

I will take your word for it that you need chains, but honestly, in either of those two vehicles cited, anywhere I would need chains on top of 4WD with the correct tires, I probably am not going.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not owned a set of chains, or any other traction aid for over 30 years. We had a cabin in Lake Tahoe and traversed Donner, Echo and Kit Carson pass many times each season, many of those times in blinding snow storms.

During those years we owned either a 4WD Suburban or Yukon, always shod with appropriate tires and never couldn’t get through.

I will take your word for it that you need chains, but honestly, in either of those two vehicles cited, anywhere I would need chains on top of 4WD with the correct tires, I probably am not going.
It is state law in Oregon as well as California that it’s required to carry tire chains in the vehicle during the winter months while traveling in the mountains and snow areas. While I agree that the right tires and 4WD on these rigs will get you just about anywhere….. still chains are necessary to have in the vehicle. I personally don’t follow those rules. Lol. At least not with my Yukon. The chains I had for my previous vehicle don’t fit the tires on my Denali. On the rare occasion they ask if they’re win the vehicle I always just say oh yeah they’re in the back…. :p

To the OP… I don’t remember which brand of trie cables I bought way back when, but they were a somewhat in expensive option compared to chains. Most auto parts stores carry them. Just buy yourself the right size for your tires and throw them in the back. And don’t ever worry about opening them. Lol. But a good set of mud and snow rated tires would be a good idea especially if you’re rolling on the factory Bridgestone duelers. Those are garbage!

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is state law in Oregon as well as California that it’s required to carry tire chains in the vehicle during the winter months while traveling in the mountains and snow areas. While I agree that the right tires and 4WD on these rigs will get you just about anywhere….. still chains are necessary to have in the vehicle. I personally don’t follow those rules. Lol. At least not with my Yukon. The chains I had for my previous vehicle don’t fit the tires on my Denali. On the rare occasion they ask if they’re win the vehicle I always just say oh yeah they’re in the back…. :p

To the OP… I don’t remember which brand of trie cables I bought way back when, but they were a somewhat in expensive option compared to chains. Most auto parts stores carry them. Just buy yourself the right size for your tires and throw them in the back. And don’t ever worry about opening them. Lol. But a good set of mud and snow rated tires would be a good idea especially if you’re rolling on the factory Bridgestone duelers. Those are garbage!
Is that a recent law in CA? I ask because I never had a chain control person ask to see my chains in my 30 years or so driving over those summits, which is good as from the time I got our first suburban, I never had them in the truck. They would glance down at the tires and waive me through, countless times, literally. I had heard of road conditions where chains on 4WD vehicles were required, but I never had them stop me for not having chained up. If they were passing anyone, we always got passed through and traction was never a problem for the Suburban or Yukon in 4WD.

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the Oregon law allows tires with the Mountain/Snowflake emblem to be used instead of chains. Lots of good tire choices with those ratings now. I drove Cooper Discover At3 4s year round for over 100k miles (2 sets) on my '16 Suburban - great in the snow (but East coast snow). I'm sure chains would offer better traction but if you're simply thinking about compliance with the Oregon law tires like that look like they work.

Oregon chain law

Steebu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a fellow Oregonian I was originally surprised a bit by the law when I first moved there, but after talking to folks at the ski resorts and stuff the law is really there as a reminder to the weekend numbskulls who are like, “Hey honey, let’s load up the kids in the Honda Odyssey with four nearly bald all-season tires and head to Mount Hood! Don’t worry, I’ll drive slowly!”

As noted, you really just need to carry chains (e.g., have them in your car) or have traction tires with the snowflake emblem. The only exception is if the roads are exceptionally bad - I think Oregon DoT calls them “conditional road closures” and you may be required to chain up no matter what.

JohnnyFamous

Reaction score
I think this is meant to be an option, Snow tires first and if not you need to carry chains. This is typical for many Canadian highways, most though dropped the chains and just made snow tires mandatory at certain times of the year.

OP
OP
B

Bob Berkey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies. I moved out here from upstate NY about 5 years ago and ended up buying a set cables to throw in the back of my previous SUV to be compliant. I figured if I'm going to spend the money and buy something for our new Yukon to remain compliant ideally it would be something that will function well if I end up needing them. I don't want to spend too much given I likely won't ever put them on.

It looks like the all-seasons that came from the factory are the Continental CrossContact LX20 with EcoPlus technology. I don't see a snowflake anywhere on them unfortunately. Anyone have experience with these in snow? They seem to get mixed reviews online.

Given the GMC manual recommends against chains, I'll likely stick with a set of cables or this Auto Sock just to be compliant.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this is meant to be an option, Snow tires first and if not you need to carry chains. This is typical for many Canadian highways, most though dropped the chains and just made snow tires mandatory at certain times of the year.
Nope it isn’t optional. It is actually law here in California that tire chains are to be carried even in 4WD vehicles. Not sure about Oregon but I think it’s the same.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that a recent law in CA? I ask because I never had a chain control person ask to see my chains in my 30 years or so driving over those summits, which is good as from the time I got our first suburban, I never had them in the truck. They would glance down at the tires and waive me through, countless times, literally. I had heard of road conditions where chains on 4WD vehicles were required, but I never had them stop me for not having chained up. If they were passing anyone, we always got passed through and traction was never a problem for the Suburban or Yukon in 4WD.
Yeah I believe it went into effect in 2016 her win California. I’ve never read any issues with my 4WD vehicles or my AWD Denali either. There have been a handful of times in the last few years where we got enough snow here in big bear where they wanted everyone chained up regardless of drivetrain. I never did and didn’t have issues but I made sure to steer clear of any sheriffs deputies or CHP officers so as to not get pulled over and told to chain up. Lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo