Slipping remanufactured transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnnyA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I swapped out my engine because of low oil pressure issues. I decided to change out the transmission because of mileage 180,000. Well after putting in the 2nd remanufactured transmission due to the first one was slipping and torque converter had something come loose inside. I Reset tcm twice. Did adaptive shift relearn. All gears have intermittent shift error times greater that 6 seconds. 2nd transmission is slipping. I'm getting very good at swapping out transmissions. Any clue on what is going on with my rig.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swapped out my engine because of low oil pressure issues. I decided to change out the transmission because of mileage 180,000. Well after putting in the 2nd remanufactured transmission due to the first one was slipping and torque converter had something come loose inside. I Reset tcm twice. Did adaptive shift relearn. All gears have intermittent shift error times greater that 6 seconds. 2nd transmission is slipping. I'm getting very good at swapping out transmissions. Any clue on what is going on with my rig.
Dont know what rig you have. Did you backflush tranny lines, cooler and/or radiator (tranny cooler section) after each replacement?

OP
OP
J

JohnnyA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes flushed with a 25 micron filter till free of everything. About 25 cycles each way. I'm working hard to keep this baby alive, I'm just lost for where to go from here. Put in the old 180,000 mile transmission or get another rig that I can't afford.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I once overhauled an automatic transmission where the reverse gear was worn out.

After I put the transmission back in place, the reverse gear took a few seconds to think, before it engaged.

I thought it was my mistake during the overhaul and I removed and disassembled the gearbox again.

But everything was fine. i then started swapping various components. Fortunately i had a transmission ecu for the car, solinoid and everything in stock. At the end of the day, i found out that there was corrosion on a connector in the wiring harness between the transmission ecu and the gearbox and that was causing the reverse gear always needed a minute's silence.
The wear oft the reverce gear was as a result of the incorrect operation of the driver, who engaged the reverse gear and then because he had no traction have a little gas, which led to wear of the reverse extremly.

I don't want to claim that it's your problem, but I would take a look at the components that are responsible for controlling the gearbox. I don't know exactly how it is with your vehicle, but your vehicle will also have transmission control, which of course has a wiring harness somewhere. And a solenoid that normally controls the pistons in the transmission. With some transmissions it is on the outside and otherwise it is built into the transmission.

Last edited:

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like was said above anything that is reused when you change out transmission is suspect Wiring, lines, converter. Anything exchanged need to be checked. You could put original trans back into see how it reacts.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know hindsight is 20/20, but I would have leaned toward leaving a good working transmission in. Even with 180k miles...
Sometimes, when you get a good one, it is best to run it until it actually does fail instead of swapping out the know for something unknown (a new one).
Who knows, maybe it would have outlasted the rest of the truck!

Unfortunately not much help in the current situation and please, don't take me as saying you should have done this or that.

I am generally not a risk taker. So the thought of giving up a reliable anything for something new just based on age or miles makes me nervous sometimes to take that leap.
My dad bought a snowblower in 1972. I bought my first one in 2000. I replaced mine already. The 52 year-old battle tank at mom's house is still going!

I hope your issue turns out to be something easy to deal with, like connectors or wiring...
Good luck and keep us posted on what happens in the process!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kkkkpppp