Should I disable AFM on my 2017?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin J

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2017 Suburban, 80k miles. Seems that the AFM/cylinder deactivation system on these engines might cause problems down the road based on what I've read. What's the consensus here - Is it worth disabling? If so, can I get away with one of those OBD dongles and just leave it in the port?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2017 Suburban, 80k miles. Seems that the AFM/cylinder deactivation system on these engines might cause problems down the road based on what I've read. What's the consensus here - Is it worth disabling? If so, can I get away with one of those OBD dongles and just leave it in the port?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

The system is very reliable in the LT engines, dirty oil is its worst enemy. Change the oil every 4-5K miles and enjoy the improved fuel economy.

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing you should also add is a catch can to get rid of all the crap the PCV system throws back into the intake. With these direct-injected engines that is no bueno.

Just IMO, a catch can might even be more beneficial for the longevity than disabling AFM. The AFM system has its issues, but I think the failures are less common than in the GMT900s. Still not perfect, of course, so disabling it is well worth the money for some piece of mind. It's not going to completely erase the potential of failure since the hardware is still there, but it will at least lessen it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645