The real cure to my ticking engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brian,
I had accidently used 5W30 that I use for my Explorer. I got the tick a month after switching back to 10W30.

I do plan on replacing that O-ring you mention for the oil pump or oil pick up tube. In the meantime, do you think it would be better to use the 5W30 (synthetic) or continue with the 10W30?

As I recall, Ford changed they recommendation from 10w30 to 5W30 to get the oil to the valve train better on the 4.6L VVT V8. Even though my 5.3L isn't VVT, I wonder if 5W30 would be better for similar reasons.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I think I found the source of my tick. My oil pressure had been lower, which I found odd. I had just changed the oil to Valvoline Synthetic 10w30 a couple of months ago. When I removed the oil filter, I was shocked as to how much sludge was in the filter! In all the cars I've owned, I've never seen so much sludge. Now that I have a new oil filter in, the oil pressure is back to normal. I should have changed it sooner, but I wasn't expecting all the sludge.

I bought this truck last year and changed the oil in August. Life did get busy, and I was unable to change the oil during the winter months, but got it done early spring. The spring change was the first synthetic oil, so I guess the detergents were doing their work. I'll make sure I do an oil change in August again, with another oil filter.

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my 2010 Denali XL it had been dealer maintained its entire life. When I first changed the oil to synthetic the sludge got caught in my vrom and caused the number 1 valves to stay open. So I would be aware of that as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Warriorpluto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my 2010 Denali XL it had been dealer maintained its entire life. When I first changed the oil to synthetic the sludge got caught in my vrom and caused the number 1 valves to stay open. So I would be aware of that as well.

How did you find out sludge got in your vlom?

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew someone at the dealership and when they took it out he said he cleaned it and when he did that's when he saw the sludge come out. It basically stuck the solenoid valve open.

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I did not. I have 133k on the the truck now. It happened about 25k ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harry26