Rust speckling on paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Z

Reaction score
So, ‘09 SSV. Guaranteed to have the cheapest paint job available, lol.

It’s white, and even on the plastic parts I’m some areas the paint has tiny bits of rust speckling. See the pics.

It’s February, at least here in Michigan, so not much to be done about it now. Come spring, I’ll hit it with a high cut compound and wax the ever loving Sheeet out of it. We’ll see if that helps.

Anyone experience similar issues with either an SSV/PPV or civilian model?

41FCB851-B629-4B46-BAD7-29EFBE8E87A1.jpeg FF00C9B4-8978-404C-BB19-D01B68E23150.jpeg

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
My truck is definitely rusty, but nothing like that. That’s crazy yo!

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Chris Z That's very strange. I think this is probably some metal material that is embedded into the paint that is rusting and not the metal underneath rusting through to the surface. Has your Tahoe ever been in a sandy climate? I wonder if there was some iron rich sand that was embedded in the paint or something. Very interesting none the less.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RAILROAD DUST.... IT's made from iron and it "rusts" on your paint.
Only see it on white cars.
It can be polished out... Keep it really clean until the weather up there
is good enough that you can polish it.. Or have a detail shop polish it out.
The only way to prevent it is to keep really well waxed and clean all the time

I learned this from my body shop friend after I bought my first white car several
years ago

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
That's not rust from the metal of the body underneath, as proven by the same being on the plastic. That's metal specks from someone grinding near it and throwing sparks on it.

Totally agree

It can be polished out... Keep it really clean until the weather up there is good enough that you can polish it.. Or have a detail shop polish it out.

X2

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Chris Z

Chris Z

Reaction score

I learned this from my body shop friend after I bought my first white car several
years ago

Thanks for the info! I was thinking it had to be something like that. I’ll definitely keep up on it until spring time when I can properly address it myself.

I think the remedy will Just be a whole lotta buffing and waxing the ever loving piss out of it.

You want something like this:

https://www.chemicalguys.com/decon-pro-iron-remover-and-wheel-cleaner/decon-pro-iron-remover.html

Its an iron remover, you spray it on and let it sit, it typically will turn purple letting you know ts removed the iron and then you wash. Should basically all be gone after that, buff and polish if needed.

Awesome! I’ve never heard of this, but curious to give it a try. Pre wash with that, then buff and wax till the cows come home.

Drok

Full Access Member
Reaction score

years ago

this plus metallic brake pad flakes/dust etc. we deal with it often and can get mostly all of it off with a clay bar, the stubborn spots the chemical an above poster works. Its a real pita haha.

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome! I’ve never heard of this, but curious to give it a try. Pre wash with that, then buff and wax till the cows come home.

I'd do what @Drok said above, wash, clay, iron remover and then shine it up!! Make sure you use a wax or something after the iron remover, its some pretty hardcore stuff that will strip ANY remaining wax on the paint. Gotta make sure its protected afterwards