Rust speckling on paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Chris Z

Chris Z

Reaction score
this plus metallic brake pad flakes/dust etc. we deal with it often and can get mostly all of it off with a clay bar, the stubborn spots the chemical an above poster works. Its a real pita haha.

Glad to hear it can be dealt with. I was wondering if a clay bar treatment would do the trick. What’s you preferred order of operations as far as wash>clay>chem>rewash>wax?

I'd do what @Drok said above, wash, clay, iron remover and then shine it up!! Make sure you use a wax or something after the iron remover, its some pretty hardcore stuff that will strip ANY remaining wax on the paint. Gotta make sure its protected afterwards

Thanks for the advice! Yeah I’m going to give this thing a bullet proof coating of wax from top to toe.

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear it can be dealt with. I was wondering if a clay bar treatment would do the trick. What’s you preferred order of operations as far as wash>clay>chem>rewash>wax?

Thanks for the advice! Yeah I’m going to give this thing a bullet proof coating of wax from top to toe.

your order is correct there. As far as a wax or sealnt, this stuff has been working kickass for me!!

https://adamspolishes.com/collections/new-just-in/products/graphene-ceramic-spray-coating™

applied it october 2nd and all the salt and road grim came off with basically my garden hose

johnh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Railroad dust? I have 2011 Yukon that looks like that, and I don't live/work anywhere near a railroad. It might be stuff in the paint, or like 3 spots I have rust coming THROUGH the paint (lower panels behind the back doors, and on back quarters where body meets fascia).

Beagleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Canada where we get snow, and we have that on our vehicles too, what we determined it is, is steel filings from the snow plows, all the highway plows have steel or carbide cutting edges, and that get ground off during slushing ops, and leaves bits of very fine steel bits on the highway, where your wheels pick them up and embed them in your paint, and a good spring wash, and a real good clay bar job on your paint will take that stuff off and leave your paint smooth and shiny... I have done that on ALL my vehicle for many years, and YES, I was one of those guys on the highway plow trucks for 38 years... it is an easy fix with a good quality clay bar and I would suggest you do it every spring.... the reason your plastic is rusty is because of those steel filings.... that is my experience anyway... hope it helps explain...
Jeff

aducknut

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Iron fallout. Lots of products on the market that will remove it. It’s most noticeable on white

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Railroad dust? I have 2011 Yukon that looks like that, and I don't live/work anywhere near a railroad. It might be stuff in the paint, or like 3 spots I have rust coming THROUGH the paint (lower panels behind the back doors, and on back quarters where body meets fascia).
You are seeing the typical rusting spots on that era. It is far worse than the rust on the surface of the paint.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get those spots on my Old Man Gold 2010 Tahoe as well. It is particulate fallout coming from somewhere. Mine comes off with a clay bar.

Millennium Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RAILROAD DUST.... IT's made from iron and it "rusts" on your paint.
Only see it on white cars.
It can be polished out... Keep it really clean until the weather up there
is good enough that you can polish it.. Or have a detail shop polish it out.
The only way to prevent it is to keep really well waxed and clean all the time

I learned this from my body shop friend after I bought my first white car several
years ago

I live in Canada where we get snow, and we have that on our vehicles too, what we determined it is, is steel filings from the snow plows, all the highway plows have steel or carbide cutting edges, and that get ground off during slushing ops, and leaves bits of very fine steel bits on the highway, where your wheels pick them up and embed them in your paint, and a good spring wash, and a real good clay bar job on your paint will take that stuff off and leave your paint smooth and shiny... I have done that on ALL my vehicle for many years, and YES, I was one of those guys on the highway plow trucks for 38 years... it is an easy fix with a good quality clay bar and I would suggest you do it every spring.... the reason your plastic is rusty is because of those steel filings.... that is my experience anyway... hope it helps explain...
Jeff

This. Many moons ago, I mixed paint for several body shops, and the paint manufacturers put out bulletins about this. At the time, the term "industrial fallout" was used to describe the cause of that surface rust in paint. Basically, it occurs anywhere you can get iron introduced into the atmosphere as mentioned already. Your vehicle could have been transported by train at some point, as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9