Rocket Man's 02 Denali Build Thread AKA "THE BEAST"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Got this email from Elite Engineering just now:

Hey Mark,

The Red Catch Can looks great. I dropped it off at the laser etching shop today during lunch. We should have it back in a few days.

Steve

Red, and engraved with “THE BEAST”- I sure hope it looks good!
No teaser pics??

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I buy the same clearcoat from the store in the high desert that carries the valspar paint that matches my factory paint code. I like this particular clear! I think I like t more than the gloss clearcoat from automotive touchup.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that Spray Max clear the stuff that has to be used in 48 hours after you activate it?

I've been trying to find more of the U-POL #1 clear I've had such great results with. According to many reviews, they changed their formula along with the can colors and what's in the current black and orange can isn't anything like the old orange and silver can.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that Spray Max clear the stuff that has to be used in 48 hours after you activate it?

I've been trying to find more of the U-POL #1 clear I've had such great results with. According to many reviews, they changed their formula along with the can colors and what's in the current black and orange can isn't anything like the old orange and silver can.
Oh I hope not. I didn’t read the directions yet. I have the U-Pol #1 also, that’s what I used the first time I painted it. It’s the orange can and it worked awesome. Not even sure why I tried buying something new. Never satisfied I guess.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Not that I know of. I bought mine and used it like 4 days later to do my grill and it worked perfectly fine.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Any 2K clear will have a limited life once you break the inner cartridge. As soon as you smash that red thing into the bottom, you've released the hardener into the paint. I have always heard 48 hours-ish as well, but I'm sure that's not carved in stone. That spraymax is highly regarded, from what I've read.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I hope not. I didn’t read the directions yet. I have the U-Pol #1 also, that’s what I used the first time I painted it. It’s the orange can and it worked awesome. Not even sure why I tried buying something new. Never satisfied I guess.

Did you buy that orange can U-Pol recently and where from? The can I used was bought in 2014. It didn't jive with whatever crappy paint I tried it with so I put it on a shelf and forgot about it until last November. It worked great with good paint. Now I'm needing more but I can't find the "old" stuff. Plenty of ebay listings showing the older can but all the sellers I questioned said they actually have the newer black and orange can.

That 2K stuff with the ~48 hour shelf life is as legit as what they spray in a booth at a shop. My experience with the 1K stuff has been good enough/great and I need the 4+ YEAR shelf life. lol

SteveB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2k stuff is good , but not as good as what I spray in booth. It does have it's place though. I used a 2k single stage spray bomb on my front bumper the results are livable , getting the metallic to lay out for my liking was a bit of pain.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any 2K clear will have a limited life once you break the inner cartridge. As soon as you smash that red thing into the bottom, you've released the hardener into the paint. I have always heard 48 hours-ish as well, but I'm sure that's not carved in stone. That spraymax is highly regarded, from what I've read.

I just read the directions- 24 hours is it after it’s activated. I’m not going to use it on the emblem, but Ill have it in case I do something more worthy of a whole can.

Did you buy that orange can U-Pol recently and where from? The can I used was bought in 2014. It didn't jive with whatever crappy paint I tried it with so I put it on a shelf and forgot about it until last November. It worked great with good paint. Now I'm needing more but I can't find the "old" stuff. Plenty of ebay listings showing the older can but all the sellers I questioned said they actually have the newer black and orange can.

That 2K stuff with the ~48 hour shelf life is as legit as what they spray in a booth at a shop. My experience with the 1K stuff has been good enough/great and I need the 4+ YEAR shelf life. lol

I bought the orange and silver can on Amazon for around $16.50. They still have it, I looked. That’s what I’ll use on the emblem again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick