Rocket Man's 02 Denali Build Thread AKA "THE BEAST"

Discussion in 'Under Construction' started by Rocket Man, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Build It Better Supporting Member

Name:
    Mark
    Well it's been asked why I don't have a build thread and my answer was that I didn't intend to do all that much to my '02 Denali when I bought it so I didn't start a thread when I started doing mods to my truck. I didn't think it would be such an ongoing project, so I just didn't think it would go over well, to do it retroactively. But....thanks to @Fosscore and others, I have been persuaded to do just that. So here goes. I will try to add a bit to this thread every couple of days or so. I have pictures of everything, I believe; it just might take a bit of organizing. Some of these will be out of sequence so when you look at the pictures and see something already done that I haven't discussed, just know that I'm doing my best to get this in order. I have done 2 other build threads, both on Harley's. One was a 2009 V-Rod Night Rod, the other a 2014 Street Glide, so I'm familiar with the process. I'll start with a few of the only before picturess I have. I didn't get carried away taking these when I first bought the truck, since it only looked that way for a few days. Take a look at those original wheels and that fender gap! Next I'll post a couple of how it looks now, along with a shot of my Denali and my Street Glide together, both with 26's. Enjoy!

IMG_2165.JPG

IMG_2166.JPG

IMG_2167.JPG

IMG_2168.JPG

IMG_2169.JPG

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
    Sam Harris, #1taho and 08HoeCD like this.
  2. Rocket Man

Name:
    Mark
    And now, as it looks today. And my Street Glide, which I built in my Living Room a couple of winters ago. (That picture was taken a while back, before some of my latest mods to the Denali.)
    Edit: there has been more done since this picture was taken, including a Whipple supercharger, a cowl hood, completely colormatched Esky roof rack, and rear wiper shave. Read on!
    IMG_5035.JPG

IMG_4322.JPG

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  3. Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz Resident resident

Name:
    Tony
    Those are some good looking rides ! Love the wheels on the truck . Damn good work !:winner_first_h4h:

#1taho and Rocket Man like this.
  4. fiatdale

fiatdale Houstons Best

Name:
    FiatDale
    Love your truck man. Makes me miss my 03 pewter Denali like crazy!

#1taho and Rocket Man like this.
  5. Rocket Man

Name:
    Mark
    The very first thing I did was get some new wheels. I knew I was going to lower it and so I tried to visualize it lowered when I was deciding on rims. I ended up going with some pretty old-school but always classic Dub ballers in " double black", 26", with some Venezia 305/30/26 tires. The Dubs look gold when the sun shines on them, so they went well with the Pewter paint. Here's what it looked like before I had it lowered. I had to visualize since it still didn't look right. I immediately ordered a Belltech 2/4 kit, with 2" front drop spindles and rear springs. As you can see, it needed it. At this time, I didn't even know about this forum.

IMG_2170.JPG

IMG_2287.JPG

IMG_2288.JPG

IMG_2289.JPG

IMG_2292.JPG

6. fiatdale

fiatdale Houstons Best

Name:
    FiatDale
    Throw some wilwoods behind those and you'll give half of us hardons. The other half, well they're gay.

7. Rocket Man

Name:
    Mark
    I had the lowering done by the same shop that sold and mounted my tires. I needed this as my DD and it was February so I wasn't riding any of my Harleys to work, or else I would have done this myself. As it turns out, I'm glad I didn't. The spindles ended up being a pain in the ass.......for the shop. It was at this time I learned I had something called Autoride. The shop said the lowering kit came with some link things to correct the ride height, (ride height sensors I learned later) but it seemed my compressor wasn't turning on, and it looked to them like the fuses for it were missing. So I took the truck home and thought it rode and looked fine, but I was definitely going to look into this Autoride stuff. And that's how I found this forum, googling Autoride problems. Here it is right after lowering it. Autoride is disabled. Or it WAS. Until I replaced those fuses, and the dreaded "Service Ride Control" message popped up in the DIC and then it wouldn't go away. Even after I pulled those fuses. Better fix it.

IMG_2592.JPG

IMG_2593.JPG

View attachment 65414

Sam Harris and #1taho like this.
  8. Rocket Man

Name:
    Mark
    As I was looking into the Autoride issues, I decided to get some new LED tail lights and 3rd brake light. I bought some Spyder lights and had those in my hands quickly. After looking at the shocks and researching my options with the Autoride, I decided to replace all 4 shocks and the compressor with Arnott's kit with rear Bilstein rear shocks (new not remanufactured) and their also new front shocks. I don't see the Bilstein option on their website anymore which is too bad, I like their stuff. Here's the tail lights. The 3rd brake light hasn't been delivered yet and the old one doesn't work.

IMG_2296.JPG

IMG_2299.JPG

IMG_2300.JPG

IMG_2301.JPG

IMG_2304.JPG

Maine, Firewolf and #1taho like this.
  9. Rocket Man

Name:
    Mark
    Yeah, I considered those, but just finished installing the GMT900 upgrade instead. Oh well, semi-hard will have to do...

Sam Harris and Onebad1983 like this.
  10. Rocket Man

Name:
    Mark
    And since there were new wheels outside, I needed a new wheel on the inside so I ordered an Autowoods Denali leather/woodgrain steering wheel. It matched the interior almost perfectly.

IMG_2340.JPG

IMG_2341.JPG

IMG_2358.JPG