Retrofit Headlight opinion???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I am planning on retrofitting these headlights and am trying to decide what I want to do to the inside of them to make them a little different.

rps20210514_195941_423.jpg

I will only be installing projectors in the low beam side and will be using my LED high beam bulbs.

Here are my thoughts and I would like some input/opinions.

Option 1. Leave them as is and install CHROME shrouds around the projectors.

Option 2. Leave them as is and install BLACK shrouds around the projectors.

Option 3. Black out all the chrome except the reflector for the high beam and install BLACK shrouds around the projectors.

Option 4. Black out all the chrome except the reflector for the high beam and install CHROME shrouds around the projectors.

I am open to other ideas and options if you have any recommendations please feel free to throw them out.

Thanks

*** EDIT***

Here are my elementary/rudimentary/juvenile attempts at a quick and very dirty photoshop of them blacked out...
rps20210514_201148_197.jpg
Sides blacked out with chrome "shroud".

rps20210514_201250_659.jpg
Blacked out with black shrouds.

Let the laughter begin... lol

@Geoffsfas10
@RichardCranium
@iamdub

Last edited:

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am planning on retrofitting these headlights and am trying to decide what I want to do to the inside of them to make them a little different.

View attachment 279220

I will only be installing projectors in the low beam side and will be using my LED high beam bulbs.

Here are my thoughts and I would like some input/opinions.

Option 1. Leave them as is and install CHROME shrouds around the projectors.

Option 2. Leave them as is and install BLACK shrouds around the projectors.

Option 3. Black out all the chrome except the reflector for the high beam and install BLACK shrouds around the projectors.

Option 4. Black out all the chrome except the reflector for the high beam and install CHROME shrouds around the projectors.

I am open to other ideas and options if you have any recommendations please feel free to throw them out.

Thanks

*** EDIT***

Here are my elementary/rudimentary/juvenile attempts at a quick and very dirty photoshop of them blacked out...
View attachment 279221
Sides blacked out with chrome "shroud".

View attachment 279222

If you really want to stand out use flash lights as headlights

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion it should be either all black or all chrome. Mixed and matched just doesn’t look right to me. I have anzo u bar headlights on my 2006 and I HATE the chrome corners of the housings, where the rest of the inner housing is black. It just doesn’t flow right to me. If the whole housing was chrome then the chrome corners wouldn’t stick out. But with the black housing the chrome just sticks out like a sore thumb.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 279222

zwhU_u3m_400x400.jpg

Uncle Ben Approved.

In all seriousness, my problem with most projector headlights is that they often look like Chihuahua eyeballs. IMO, blacking out the whole inside would accentuate the "eye" look. If I were to do a retrofit, I'd do like @RichardCranium did and use the Minis and keep all the chrome (reflectors and shrouds) to blend it together as much as possible. You have to keep the reflector for the high beam, so the reflector for the low beam should stay. Otherwise, it'd look like two bubbles, one bigger than the other. I think making them all black would cheapen the look of your rig, like someone putting ricey ebay headlights on a late model luxury car just because they're "different".

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not put LED's for hi beams....they don't thave the Lumens.

I have a Yukon and put Sealight LED's in them but have only one bulb per light.

EDIT: BTW Brents flashlights are $ 700.....ea

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
I would not put LED's for hi beams....they don't thave the Lumens.

I have a Yukon and put Sealight LED's in them but have only one bulb per light.

EDIT: BTW Brents flashlights are $ 700.....ea

My LED high beams are stupid bright Super Nova V4 from Headlight Revolution. They tested them at 3600 lumens.

rps20210516_184427_112.jpg

https://www.headlightrevolution.com...dlights-9005-9145-bulbs-HR9005V4_2?quantity=1

Of course none of that really matters considering the Bi-Xenon projectors I will be installing have a high beam setting as well....

And then there is the 42" 800 watt LED light bar behind the lower grille....
rps20210515_234625_278.jpg

So I would say my high beams are pretty well covered... lol

Last edited:

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My LED high beams are stupid bright Super Nova V4 from Headlight Revolution. They tested them at 3600 lumens.

https://www.headlightrevolution.com...dlights-9005-9145-bulbs-HR9005V4_2?quantity=1

Of course none of that really matters considering the Bi-Xenon projectors I will be installing have a high beam setting as well....

And then there is the 42" 800 watt LED light bar behind the lower grille....

So I would say my high beams are pretty well covered... lol
I really like this setup! That looks good!

I’m running the morimoto mini hi 8.0 bi xenons on my truck with HIDs and I will say that I’m impressed with how bright both the low and high beams are. The color is not as intense as my LEDs were, so it took some getting used to, but after running them in the proper configuration and getting used to the color it’s actually a lot brighter than I thought when I installed and I love the setup now. This is my first retrofit and first time ever running HID anything and I’m glad I did it.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
I really like this setup! That looks good!

I’m running the morimoto mini hi 8.0 bi xenons on my truck with HIDs and I will say that I’m impressed with how bright both the low and high beams are. The color is not as intense as my LEDs were, so it took some getting used to, but after running them in the proper configuration and getting used to the color it’s actually a lot brighter than I thought when I installed and I love the setup now. This is my first retrofit and first time ever running HID anything and I’m glad I did it.

Thank you.

What temperature bulb are you running?

The Morimoto mini H1 8.0 is what I will be using as well. I plan on going with the 5k bulbs. All the rest of the lights on the front of the truck are 6k LED but I didn't want to give up the lumens, and I also don't want yellow (halogen colored) headlights even though the 4300k has the most lumens, so I figured 5k is a happy medium... I hope.

This will also be my first retrofit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rgeurts