Replacing Dash Board

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

floater

Reaction score
My 98 Two door Tahoe has a broken Dash. I mean it's literally broken into pieces. Dried out in the Florida sun and when I got it here in Canada it just started to break apart. Has anyone swapped out their Dash for a newer one? Just wondering how much crap I may be getting into. Thanks

OP
OP
F

floater

Reaction score
I checked out that link and others. I practiced on a 99 suburban with a crap dash board today. I liked the idea of just disconnecting the fuse block at the fire wall and taking the entire dash harness out along with the dash. I got the fuse block unbolted but wasn't able to separate the two halves from the firewall to the interior. Is there a trick to this? I smashed one connector and it was full of resin and the wires were all one piece from under dash into engine bay. No way to disconnect it. Any tips?

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The white part stays attached to the inside convenience center. It has two screws holding it in, circled in blue below as best as I can remember. The upper right screw is already removed in the photo. The second one is diagonal to it and hidden from view in the photo.

Then loosen the torx bolt inside the black part (red arrow) and pry that part off. I don’t remember if the bolt was captive or not.

When the black part is pulled off, push the white part through the firewall into the cab. The various wires connected to the stuff under the hood will go with it.

8dc730eecd47d48d96df710be810520d.jpg

Here’s the white part (circled in red) once the dash is out.

7613d1c5223e264817849e1d8fb0b5a3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

floater

Reaction score
Thanks for pointing that out in the pic. On the engine side I guess I have to trace all those wires from the white connector and unplug those?

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, there are maybe six or so. It’s arguably the hardest part of the job just because they’re hard to see and reach. There are a couple down under the brake booster if I remember right.

Loosening the underhood fuse block (bolts are through the fender wheel well) and pushing it out of the way kind of helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

floater

Reaction score
Ok great. Thanks for the help. Now to find a dashboard up here in Toronto!

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem, let me know if you run into any issues.

OP
OP
F

floater

Reaction score
Got it all done. I found a nice dash out of a 95 pick up. Stupid me didn't look at the motor though. It was out of a truck with a 4.3 tbi engine. The harness is different than my 5.7 vortec. I had to switch over the old harness onto the new dash. Not too big a deal as everything came out and went back in with no breaks. Total job took about four hours. Thanks for the tips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17