Replacement windshield not OEM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

derekjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The windshield in my 1999 Tahoe developed a crack by the driver's side wiper arm a few days ago and was just replaced today. The place I went to has been in business 30+ years and my family has used them for years. I have glass coverage on my truck and figured I'd obviously use it, zero out of pocket. My insurance company lets me choose where to do it and I picked this place because of their reputation. Is it common for glass replacement places to NOT use OE glass? The label on the windshield says "Crinamex". I don't know who the supplier was for the factory one but I know this isn't the same company. Should I have anything to worry about? Clarity, fit and finish looks good so far. I just don't want to have to replace it again in a couple years. For what it's worth, I have a 2015 VW and the factory glass is made by this company. At least they are an OE supplier, right?

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They do it all the time, I'm surprised it's not a Pilkington glass. unless you request an OEM unit, you will get their normal replacement glass. I try to stay with PPG or Pilkington.

OP
OP
D

derekjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They do it all the time, I'm surprised it's not a Pilkington glass. unless you request an OEM unit, you will get their normal replacement glass. I try to stay with PPG or Pilkington.

That's just the thing. I called and asked if they could use factory glass. He said, yeah it's the same as factory just without the GM logo. He said the original was most likely made by PPG or Pilkington. All the other windows on mine are Guardian, which I do believe was the factory supplier back in 1999 (this is my 3rd 1999 Tahoe). Looking at reviews of the Crinamex glass, it seems that it is the cheapest out there in terms of price and quality. It was $150 according to the invoice I have. I would expect it to be at least 2-3x that price for a quality piece. I guess I'll see how well this one holds up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

metaljunkie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The factory windshield in my 99 is a Guardian. Unfortunately it is cracked and also needs replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts