Replacement motor questions but hopefully fixable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should have stated that I let my front diff droop in order to get the pan off. You don’t need to completely remove the diff in order to get enough clearance to get it off like that guy in the video. He probably didn’t try prying down which gets you enough room. And plenty of people say you don’t need to rivet the new gasket into the pan but it’s 2 pop rivets and they’re there for a purpose- to keep the gasket in place while you maneuver the pan. IMO you need to drop the pan in order to do anything. Also don’t forget there’s 2 small areas that need a dab of RTV at the rear of the pan where it meets the rear cover when you put it back on, as well as a tightening sequence between the bolts that hold the rear cover to the pan and the main bolts and the torque is important too. If you don’t follow the instructions you’ll end up with leaks. I highly recommend a subscription to alldatadiy which provides access to the service manual and TSB’s. It’s only about $30 for a year iirc.

OP
OP
rockdogz

rockdogz

Reaction score
How much would a shop charge to do this work? Need something to keep me motivated lol

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much would a shop charge to do this work? Need something to keep me motivated lol
Probably depends a lot on the shop, rates, etc.

I have a really great independent shop nearby and I wouldn't be shocked if he quoted $1500 for the labor component. I think if I took it to our local dealer (who is perhaps the most cost effective dealer I ever saw), maybe $2000 in labor?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$125 an hour minimum. Plus a big write up on parts. So yeah like Bill said, probably $1500-2000 or even $2500 in labor, plus they’ll mark up the parts by another $500 over what you could buy them for.

OP
OP
rockdogz

rockdogz

Reaction score
Do you think it’s worth it to replace fuel injectors while I’m doing this?

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many shops have injector test and cleaning equipment and failing that, most diesel repair facilities will have injector service gear. I might consider taking them down for a test, maybe replace the o-rings (like $15 for OE seals), but I wouldn't replace the injectors wholesale.

OP
OP
rockdogz

rockdogz

Reaction score
I have both heads off, as well as the front timing cover. I have the oil pan bolts off but haven’t dropped it yet. Good news - looks like due to my lift I have plenty of room under the pan and shouldn’t have to mess with the front diff or steering.

I decided to freshen up the heads by getting new springs and going to do some valve lapping by hand. Also replacing the oil pump, all lifters, water pump, VLOM, and timing chain.

OP
OP
rockdogz

rockdogz

Reaction score
Never mind about the front diff and steering rack. They are being dropped/moved now.

OP
OP
rockdogz

rockdogz

Reaction score
The cam doesn’t look at bad as I thought it would. Wondering now if this indeed was the problem.

Attachments

• 78F9B7A8-4D01-4D49-A903-E3614B3C61E3.jpeg
    78F9B7A8-4D01-4D49-A903-E3614B3C61E3.jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 9

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tadsher