Replacement motor questions but hopefully fixable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't an exhaust leak cause a misfire?
I have never had an exhaust leak cause a misfire (at least one that leaked at the exhaust manifold). But maybe, I guess depending on the valve timing.

OP
OP
rockdogz

rockdogz

Reaction score
I checked the exhaust bolts and they seemed tight.
I’m leaning towards pulling it apart to check the lifters/heads/intake

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, I would do the intake manifold leak test with that CRC intake manifold aerosol stuff. If you have an intake leak, it likely will show up with it.

BobBilly

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I seem to have a blown (and not blown as in supercharger) up 5.3 in my 2008 Tahoe. It just happened but I think it’s a spun rod. I had been planning to research engine swaps but this came at a bad time so I just want to swap in a remanufactured engine.
should I go for another 5.3 or is there a straightforward swap or kit for something larger (6.0?) or newer? I need something that’s already sorted out and will be smog legal in CA.
Any and all suggestions on someplace that could hook me up would be most appreciated!
Thanks
Tom

BobBilly

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I
have a 2005 Yukon XLT LOADED andwas in good conditio, it was my daughter’s and her husband was going to Trade it in for $2300, with 180,ooo miles. I decided to buy it from him and put a new engine in.
I bought a rebuilt “Long Block”, from Rockauto.com for $1650.00 I put it in my self and then had a rebuilt transmission installed for another $1,650.00. It has been 19 months and I am very pleased to have a like new SUV for much less than buying a new one. Even if you have to pay a shop to put the engine in for you, about $1,000.00, you still come out better than buying a new SUV at the prices today, if you can actually find one.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I
have a 2005 Yukon XLT LOADED andwas in good conditio, it was my daughter’s and her husband was going to Trade it in for $2300, with 180,ooo miles. I decided to buy it from him and put a new engine in.
I bought a rebuilt “Long Block”, from Rockauto.com for $1650.00 I put it in my self and then had a rebuilt transmission installed for another $1,650.00. It has been 19 months and I am very pleased to have a like new SUV for much less than buying a new one. Even if you have to pay a shop to put the engine in for you, about $1,000.00, you still come out better than buying a new SUV at the prices today, if you can actually find one.
Why did you put in a new engine? Unless it was badly mistreated it was good for another 200-300,000 miles. 4-500,000 miles isn't uncommon for the LS based engines.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can we back up a minute?

I understand you swapped coils, but did you verify spark was actually going across the strap at the spark plug?

Other than a collapsed lifter, you have ruled out pretty much everything else. So now it's a matter of verifying the result.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mazer16