Replacement motor questions but hopefully fixable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockdogz

Reaction score
So I seem to have a blown (and not blown as in supercharger) up 5.3 in my 2008 Tahoe. It just happened but I think it’s a spun rod. I had been planning to research engine swaps but this came at a bad time so I just want to swap in a remanufactured engine.
should I go for another 5.3 or is there a straightforward swap or kit for something larger (6.0?) or newer? I need something that’s already sorted out and will be smog legal in CA.
Any and all suggestions on someplace that could hook me up would be most appreciated!
Thanks
Tom

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stick with another 5.3 if you are a Californian. Also, knowing your budget might be helpful but, ultimately, look for a used 5.3 with 100k or less miles on it. These typically go for around $2-$3k around here, and then you have to pull the old engine and install the new engine. You may have to reuse your accessories, too.

OP
OP
rockdogz

rockdogz

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
I pulled a P0304 code of a misfire and am going to try new plugs, wires, and coil to see if it goes away…may not be a rod after all.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I seem to have a blown (and not blown as in supercharger) up 5.3 in my 2008 Tahoe. It just happened but I think it’s a spun rod. I had been planning to research engine swaps but this came at a bad time so I just want to swap in a remanufactured engine.
should I go for another 5.3 or is there a straightforward swap or kit for something larger (6.0?) or newer? I need something that’s already sorted out and will be smog legal in CA.
Any and all suggestions on someplace that could hook me up would be most appreciated!
Thanks
Tom
If you look for another 5.3, the 2010 and later engines have VVT. You can opt not to hook this up or pin your wire harness computer connector for it.

Hopefully that code has an easy fix, if not, it may only be time to replace the lifters, VLOM and lifter trays and such.

OP
OP
rockdogz

rockdogz

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm looking into the VLOM now. I have had an oil leak from the top end somewhere and now coolant leak too so would not be surprised to find the intake loose as others have. So we'll see if it's an ignition issue or perhaps lifter.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
I pulled a P0304 code of a misfire and am going to try new plugs, wires, and coil to see if it goes away…may not be a rod after all.
Could also be an injector, you'd have to pull your long term and short term fuel trims to verify though.

Could be a burnt valve, bad lifter or valve spring too. At least you have it narrowed down to cyl 4

OP
OP
rockdogz

rockdogz

Reaction score
Thanks I've been wondering about the injectors...how do you get them checked/cleaned? Do I just find a shop that does this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz