Replace 5.3 l59 with this....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RobsFreeland

RobsFreeland

Old wild land firefighter
Reaction score
Fixed exhaust leaks. Just took off throttle body and cleaned it and replaced with new gasket. It was definitely in need. Black bear said to clean it ,, may be the problem on why it won’t want to idle. I should say it does idle I just can’t touch the throttle. It will almost die then bounce back and idle around 800 or 900 rpms. After shutting it off and restarting some times it’s ok and some times not. Retightening header bolts if I have to. Just keeping a watchful eye on everything. Will refill air conditioner Friday. I will probably make an appointment with black bear to do the ride along. I think some of the problems is that I’m not used to driving a hot rod, so i will be on the learning curve , trans shifting etc.. BB is not far maybe five hours. Need a road trip.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fixed exhaust leaks. Just took off throttle body and cleaned it and replaced with new gasket. It was definitely in need. Black bear said to clean it ,, may be the problem on why it won’t want to idle. I should say it does idle I just can’t touch the throttle. It will almost die then bounce back and idle around 800 or 900 rpms. After shutting it off and restarting some times it’s ok and some times not. Retightening header bolts if I have to. Just keeping a watchful eye on everything. Will refill air conditioner Friday. I will probably make an appointment with black bear to do the ride along. I think some of the problems is that I’m not used to driving a hot rod, so i will be on the learning curve , trans shifting etc.. BB is not far maybe five hours. Need a road trip.
Yeah, thats kinda the problem with newer stuff. I did cam headers and ported the intake and heads on my Nova and all it took was a distributor spring kit and a few tweaks to the carb and it was road ready.
I know enough with efi to cause myself more headaches than good lol

OP
OP
RobsFreeland

RobsFreeland

Reaction score
I thought I would compile the list of parts i purchased for the cam swap. No particular order.

Fel 26191pt Head Gaskets 95.98
Fel 72401 Oil pump gaskets 3.99
Fel es72173 Headbolt Kit 41.98 I had to return wrong headbolts. They had two versions of headbolts for that engine
sum121170 Racing OIl Pump 65.69
Pushrod length check tool 26.99
Cam Kit Sum 8701, lifters and trays, Valve Springs, valve seals, valve spring locks 454.96
Lifter and Guide Kit 149.99
Valve Cover Grommets icb 551276 11.99
smpsk1 injector seal kit 9.99
clo-9-3658tx3 Race Billet True roller timing set gears and chain 127.99
cold air intake withheat shield kit 69.99
Socket set and gear puller 220.24
ARP Head Bolts 134-3610 109.99
sum 141560 LS Bronze Bushing Trunnion Upgrade 152.99
sum btc pr7400312-16 chromoly pushrods 94.00
jba shorty headers 460.99
magnaflow cat back exhaust 600.00 and change cant find receipt
dip stick tube 19.99 x 2 broke one, snapped the sucker right off at the block.
Tune BB Performace 350.00
Plus oil and filters and misc. (beer etc) 200.00
OIl pan gasket 33.00
--------------> 3100.74
Im sure I forgot a few things but better than buying a new engine or vehicle. Plus the experience

Priceless

I will need another tune from BB Performance when cable becomes available.
No ride ons stupid covid. The ride on would have been great to learn from big J. His experience and wealth of knowledge would have been great.
Tack on another 150.00

3250.74 usd

Well worth it.

Labor I'm retired so that's free.

Ran it the other day got it up to 6000 rpm. Didn't blow up and still runs great. Lopey and can really feel the power band.
Change oil and will cut open filter to see whats up.

The knowledge and camaraderie from this site is superb.

Next up tranny.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you happened to get a follow up tune with the scan cable? Very interested in your build, and what all do you want to do to the transmission?

OP
OP
RobsFreeland

RobsFreeland

Reaction score
Have you happened to get a follow up tune with the scan cable? Very interested in your build, and what all do you want to do to the transmission?
Going for tune today. Put it through its paces on the way over towing camper trailer. I’ll post results after tune.

BentleyArnage

Reaction score
Part Number: 059-HP97 From JEGS. I have 220000 on the hoe now, want to stay ahead of any trouble and replace it now. Looking for options .. advice. No core return. Don’t really want to strip down the motor and rebuild . I realize it would be cheaper but don’t want the down time. Plug and play right?
Oh hell, another islander. You'll be seeing my Bentley cruising the island soon. Just started resurrecting her. If you need the big bad scanner, get in touch. I carry it with me everywhere.

BentleyArnage

Reaction score
If I read your coordinates correctly you're in Chilli? I used to work at the Caterpillar plant in Mossville and went to Manual HS in Peoria. Many moons ago...
An RV grind cam is perfect for one of these. With good exhaust and a decent airbox, they pull pretty well for a shrimp of a motor. I'll be installing a 6.0 when this one dies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts