Refinish headliner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
My best advice on how to do it would be to watch some YouTube videos. What I will strongly advise against is using contact cement from an aerosol can. I don't know of any that have held up past the first or second summer, if it even lasted throughout the reinstallation. I bought a gallon a DAP Weldwood adhesive and used a cheap Harbor Freight spray gun on my air compressor to install a fiber-backed outdoor upholstery vinyl (HEAVY!) headliner in my Jeep XJ. Four years later, it still looks like the day I installed it.

If you don't wanna invest in all the tools and materials to do it the correct and permanent way, you could split the difference by removing the panel, stripping off the old material and bringing it to a shop to re-cover it. Most of the labor is the removal and installation, so just having them cover it should be considerably cheaper. It'd be a professional job and you wouldn't have to buy all this stuff that you'd likely never use again.

I like the spray gun plan seeing as there's now a compressor on site and you need a cheap gun for primer already anyways....

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it was years ago but i just read your ‘hole’ thread on gmsquare... good werk brutha. I did a few of my g-bodies, k5’sand pickem ups when i was a yung buck. I swapped the stupid whit 2 hole pattern headliners to the cloth on a few too. I think I bought that headliner material at jcwhitney. And yes i used a shop vac and wire brush, cardboard and duct tape to cover and fix cracks... ahh good times, good times...

Thanks dawg.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to do the headliner in my dually. I hope to get to it this summer!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m wondering how to get the headliner from my Denali to an upholstery shop when it’s so damn huge that it takes up the entire inside? Drive with it laying on top of my head? That’s sure to get some laughs out of people who see me. Anybody done this, let me know how you figured it out.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I’m wondering how to get the headliner from my Denali to an upholstery shop when it’s so damn huge that it takes up the entire inside? Drive with it laying on top of my head? That’s sure to get some laughs out of people who see me. Anybody done this, let me know how you figured it out.
Would it fit in the Silverado? Or if it isn't too far, but carefully strap it to the Tahoe roof rack to bring it there.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This is exactly how I got a full headliner home from the salvage yard in my S10. flet like I was driving a chop top :Big Laugh:

You could let it rest on the tops of the head rests on the seats, but use something like a pool noodle or two to raise and support the left side for you headroom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442