Refinish headliner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody in here redone their headliner? Mine is starting to show it's age. I see they sell the fabric and glue. However, I'm not sure how to color match that stuff and any other unforseen issues along the way.

Any advices are greatly appreciated... Thanks!

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The head liner in my '05 Yukon XL is a tad more complicated than my (since sold) '88 C2500 reg cab. My sun roof door's material is falling down. I am researching how to get that out & re-covered. I can bet it isn't easy? Or maybe just popping off the plastic trim??

My manual does not even mention the sun roof!!

..Thinking about it, maybe the Service Manual CD does..... I must look.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Anybody in here redone their headliner? Mine is starting to show it's age. I see they sell the fabric and glue. However, I'm not sure how to color match that stuff and any other unforseen issues along the way.

Any advices are greatly appreciated... Thanks!
Is it gray? Here in NJ we have a fabric store called Joanne's Fabrics. They sell gray headliner material--cheap too. Buy a few yards to do yours. It'll probably be a little darker then your original, but who's gonna stare at it? Or Pep Boys sells it in a kit for suv's, goes for around $60-$70 to do your Hoe. Hardest part is dropping the headliner.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My best advice on how to do it would be to watch some YouTube videos. What I will strongly advise against is using contact cement from an aerosol can. I don't know of any that have held up past the first or second summer, if it even lasted throughout the reinstallation. I bought a gallon a DAP Weldwood adhesive and used a cheap Harbor Freight spray gun on my air compressor to install a fiber-backed outdoor upholstery vinyl (HEAVY!) headliner in my Jeep XJ. Four years later, it still looks like the day I installed it.

If you don't wanna invest in all the tools and materials to do it the correct and permanent way, you could split the difference by removing the panel, stripping off the old material and bringing it to a shop to re-cover it. Most of the labor is the removal and installation, so just having them cover it should be considerably cheaper. It'd be a professional job and you wouldn't have to buy all this stuff that you'd likely never use again.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
My best advice on how to do it would be to watch some YouTube videos. What I will strongly advise against is using contact cement from an aerosol can. I don't know of any that have held up past the first or second summer, if it even lasted throughout the reinstallation. I bought a gallon a DAP Weldwood adhesive and used a cheap Harbor Freight spray gun on my air compressor to install a fiber-backed outdoor upholstery vinyl (HEAVY!) headliner in my Jeep XJ. Four years later, it still looks like the day I installed it.

If you don't wanna invest in all the tools and materials to do it the correct and permanent way, you could split the difference by removing the panel, stripping off the old material and bringing it to a shop to re-cover it. Most of the labor is the removal and installation, so just having them cover it should be considerably cheaper. It'd be a professional job and you wouldn't have to buy all this stuff that you'd likely never use again.
Agreed about the spray adhesive--although I've used the 3M spray in my Bonneville's headliner years ago, and it never failed.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
iamdub has it right.... I had my old truck headliner done by a canvas shop. I did the R&R.

It was cheap for them to do it. AND it was perfect. And they can get the right color.
What did it end up costing? How long did it take them?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The head liner in my '05 Yukon XL is a tad more complicated than my (since sold) '88 C2500 reg cab. My sun roof door's material is falling down. I am researching how to get that out & re-covered. I can bet it isn't easy? Or maybe just popping off the plastic trim??

My manual does not even mention the sun roof!!

..Thinking about it, maybe the Service Manual CD does..... I must look.
I have a 2001 tahoe... I got my door off without any issue. I dont reacall how I did it. But I did remove the trim around it. I think it just has some side springs like on a screen window for a house.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk