Rear main Seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

lspann3525

Reaction score
Mines not coming off that easy. When I use the ratchet and socket the flywheel starts to spin.

On my old Ford I could jam and extension or screw driver in the access spot. I tried a screwdriver but it may of not been big enough.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't remember this being all that difficult. I didn't have to use any special tools. I may have manually put the transmission into park to lock it in place while undoing the bolts, but I don't think I even had to do that. I may have given the wrench a good sharp wack to break torque.

This video was useful for me:

This video was made after I did mine, and it shows removing the flywheel nuts at 10:50 min:

Man o man I surely do NOT miss that bullSHT. Gettin old.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m glad it worked out for you. My experience with Dorman has been hit or miss and considering how hard it is to replace a rear main, I won’t be taking a chance myself. My OEM was in for 150k and still not leaking when I replaced it with the same as preventive maintenance.
Agree 100%. Hell, I went with the full OE rear cover, with the rear main already installed, to take advantage of one less thing to go wrong with that extensive labor. Worth it..

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mines not coming off that easy. When I use the ratchet and socket the flywheel starts to spin.

On my old Ford I could jam and extension or screw driver in the access spot. I tried a screwdriver but it may of not been big enough.
Actually, for the converter I used a big screwdriver through that access hole since you need to turn the flexplate each time you remove or install a bolt. That tool won’t work good for that, it’s meant for the harmonic balancer bolt.

OP
OP
L

lspann3525

Reaction score
Only if my air compressor worked I got an old 230v in the garage but I can't find anyone to wire me an outlet. That's what made me get the impact.

I grabbed a 12" screwdriver from Lowes I'm gonna crawl back under later on to see if that will lock the motor.

I'm also having 2nd thoughts about the dorman like y'all said. I googled the seal and there was a bunch of people that said the seal leak right after installation.

OP
OP
L

lspann3525

Reaction score
I have a craftsman battery powered impact wrench I'm just unable to get it in the space the front diff/frame is in the way if my impact was a little more slim I could do it. I am going to start looking for a compressor today but im not sure about the gallons and psi I will need

Last edited: