Rear main Seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

lspann3525

Reaction score
finally got all the bellhousing bolts out, and flexplate bolts out. I was able to wiggle the rear of the trans and it seperated from the motor. Im looking at the rear seal and its sign of a little oil but not much. The area to the left and right of the rear cover appear to be wet. Heres a pic does this look like this could be my oil problem?

PANO-2023-04-07-20-55-46.jpg

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I am curious. Has anybody checked if those rear main seal cover bolts came loose like the VLOM bolts? Or perimeter gasket failure compared to the actual rear main seal failure?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I am curious. Has anybody checked if those rear main seal cover bolts came loose like the VLOM bolts? Or perimeter gasket failure compared to the actual rear main seal failure?
The rear cover has a gasket that can leak for sure. I replace the rear cover and rear main seal as one unit when I have done this. Never heard of the bolts coming loose but I’m sure it’s possible if the proper torque and application of locktite isn’t followed.

OP
OP
L

lspann3525

Reaction score
Well my leak seems to be coming from the bottom of the seal. More than likely it was leaking enough and the flexplate/crank was slinging it around in the bellhousing.

Is it necessary to use the rear cover alignment tool. The kit I have came with a new cover and the seal already installed in it. Most of the videos I have seen the seal is removed to use the alignment tool.

Dave S

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would say yes but I have never not used it. I figure they make them for a reason and I don’t want to get that far to find out. I bought mine from SacCity Corvette years ago. Looks like there are a lot of other options nowadays.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well my leak seems to be coming from the bottom of the seal. More than likely it was leaking enough and the flexplate/crank was slinging it around in the bellhousing.

Is it necessary to use the rear cover alignment tool. The kit I have came with a new cover and the seal already installed in it. Most of the videos I have seen the seal is removed to use the alignment tool.
No tool needed for the rear cover with the seal already installed in it afaik but there is a specific install procedure for the rear cover that needs to be followed. I suggest paying for a subscription to alldatadiy so you have access to the service manual. You want to make sure you do this right considering you have to pull the trans to get to it. This isn’t something I would be winging it on.

OP
OP
L

lspann3525

Reaction score
Ok cool I guess ill go that route. Just got the rear cover off to check the rear of the oil pan gasket and look here 35-D3-F7-E4-F979-4-D9-D-A6-E5-5866-CB101623.jpg

C5-FAA9-D3-BC6-B-42-C5-9611-90736-D9217-E1.jpg

This oil gallery plug is sticking out just a tad should it be flush with the block?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo

Latest posts