Rear Control Arm Attachment Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KidWgn

Certified Kid Hauler
Reaction score
Full *********** weld is not appropriate for bracket connections like it would possibly be for full capacity (in line) splices.
The plates in that bracket are thicker than the frame tubes ever were so there is no point in overkill on the welds.

That bracket will be in the junkyard far before it's life ends.
The iron worker/fabricator who did the work has more than 60 years experience so I have no doubts.

Edit: (Looking back at this I have to laugh because the Garage Journal thinks that, referring to the weld, the proper name that the abbreviation "pen" comes from is a dirty word and blanked it out! Immature.)
While I agree that most of the load here is linear, there is still some lateral force at play. As long as he sufficiently fused the bracked to the frame, all should be well. I'd just hate to see it crack the frame.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I agree that most of the load here is linear, there is still some lateral force at play. As long as he sufficiently fused the bracked to the frame, all should be well. I'd just hate to see it crack the frame.
So far so good.
That bracket is the least of my worries on a 16 year old truck that seems to find ways to demand my attention over the past few years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts