Rear axle C-clip removal guidance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
5StarCustmSolutns
Reaction score
The 14-bolt axle assembly will bolt right in, assuming the mounting points on an avalanche are the same as a suburban, which they should be. But those are all 3.42 so maybe you can find a 3.42 front diff at the same yard?

Bummer about the cold snap coinciding with the need to do this initial part of the work outdoors. Should be a sunny day today there but still cold.
Half of my 24x26 garage is saws, materials and toolboxes. I had just finished getting her car in here and leveled at about 26" off ground for a weekend service to replace brake lines, change front & rear diff oils, trans oil, plugs, and O2 sensors when it happened lol. Did the brake lines, then took it all back down.

Should've been able to get mine in last night but the clips stalled me out. The temp wasn't a major issue(other than for metal damage) until the wind picked up. Had the truck covered w/6mil plastic and a couple layers of painter drop cloth to insulate so I could actually feel the heater that was under there with me. Wind was the end of that

Did get to break out 6ton Daytona Jack stands for first time though. They're an A+ so far, 4-layer (overly)redundant safety setup and 24" height

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Half of my 24x26 garage is saws, materials and toolboxes. I had just finished getting her car in here and leveled at about 26" off ground for a weekend service to replace brake lines, change front & rear diff oils, trans oil, plugs, and O2 sensors when it happened lol. Did the brake lines, then took it all back down.

Should've been able to get mine in last night but the clips stalled me out. The temp wasn't a major issue(other than for metal damage) until the wind picked up. Had the truck covered w/6mil plastic and a couple layers of painter drop cloth to insulate so I could actually feel the heater that was under there with me. Wind was the end of that

Did get to break out 6ton Daytona Jack stands for first time though. They're an A+ so far, 4-layer (overly)redundant safety setup and 24" height
I have a set of 4 of those same jack stands. They work well and have performed great for last 6 months since I got them.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder! and it's only 16 degrees here. Once I get carrier out I can front axle drive it into heated garage but....
Not sure if the word "habitual" applies because I've tamed myself down to about a one-per-month or so average, but I have (let's call it) a history of breaking bolts, tools and parts by way of too much force/not enough patience. Dozens...smh

The plan for now is either helical gear carrier(Eaton, PowerTrax, AAM, etc) -or- for about the same cost I could upgrade to a 14 bolt 9.5" 3.42 G80? There's one with only 25k mi a couple hours away for $603

I would love to hear thoughts on that choice? Both are better options for the towing(3 trailers) and mild off roading I regularly do than my current 10 bolt 8.6 3.08 (which was handling it just fine though)
Heli-carrier is probably a little less work? But both are gonna require me to re-set and pattern gears, one in front one in rear... Best case would be Truetrac(or comparable) IN a 14 bolt w/25k miles, but I have to prioritize right now; Im in serious need of a Torque Converter or I'm going to be replacing a 6L80 sooner than later.

Bought appliances, cabinets, and everything else for our kitchen over the last 10 days or it wouldn't be am issue, literally paid $2700 Thurs night for the last of it... Could be worse I guess, sorry for venting
I am the same way although I have calmed down a smidge in the last few years. I have broken at least 5 g80's the only thing that survived was a eaton detroit if you can break one of those I bow down. I did wear a bearing set out in the eaton after a couple years and sold it shortly afterwards.
funny you mention the 9.5" my Silverado has one and I am still concerned about it possibly giving out but I haven't had one before so time will tell.
I have also broken at least 5 or more 4l60's they do not like full throttle 24/7 they like to break good during the 1-2 shift, I found that easing up on the pedal a hair at that point seemed to make a difference.
the last 4l60 I broke (under warranty) the shop blamed the transfer case I have my doubts but it did have about 300k on it at the time it was a beast for sure. Transfer cases seem to hold up better than all the rest.
the 6l80 seems to be a bit more robust but the torque converter is the weak spot, already had to have this one I have now rebuilt but I specifically requested it be built to handle 500hp because I know it would break again otherwise, it's been about a year now and so far it's still working perfect.
I also tend to break bolts and tools and anything else that is not heavy duty, seems like I have to everything commercial level in my life I am just ******* stuff
so everything I have gets a severe duty approach to help if it does.

OP
OP
5StarCustmSolutns
Reaction score
This is a debatable and fluid statement I'm about to make but: They're the best bang for your buck jack stands ever made for retail sale

I've not examined any High high end jack stands in my life but after a thorough examining of these, I can't see too many ways they could be made better than these things are

OP
OP
5StarCustmSolutns
Reaction score
I am the same way although I have calmed down a smidge in the last few years. I have broken at least 5 g80's the only thing that survived was a eaton detroit if you can break one of those I bow down. I did wear a bearing set out in the eaton after a couple years and sold it shortly afterwards.
funny you mention the 9.5" my Silverado has one and I am still concerned about it possibly giving out but I haven't had one before so time will tell.
I have also broken at least 5 or more 4l60's they do not like full throttle 24/7 they like to break good during the 1-2 shift, I found that easing up on the pedal a hair at that point seemed to make a difference.
the last 4l60 I broke (under warranty) the shop blamed the transfer case I have my doubts but it did have about 300k on it at the time it was a beast for sure. Transfer cases seem to hold up better than all the rest.
the 6l80 seems to be a bit more robust but the torque converter is the weak spot, already had to have this one I have now rebuilt but I specifically requested it be built to handle 500hp because I know it would break again otherwise, it's been about a year now and so far it's still working perfect.
I also tend to break bolts and tools and anything else that is not heavy duty, seems like I have to everything commercial level in my life I am just ******* stuff
so everything I have gets a severe duty approach to help if it does.
We'd prob get along just fine then :D

Using my 20/20 hindsight (because God knows my current eyesight is no longer 20/20) I was able to see the pattern of different people from completely different facets of my life telling me I was too ******* _____(insert noun of choice here), and it helped me realize that I needed to dial it back a little. Especially on things that are of value to me and those around me that are affected by that thing. Not $$ value because $$'s aren't valuable to me (personally rather have that high quality paper and ink they're made with so I could write important things down and know they could go through the washer/dryer 10x and my great great nieces/nephews would still be able to read them).
To put it in the simplest of metaphors: I finally realized that crushing the cooler because it doesn't close/seal properly is not ok. Especially when Im the one who loaded the cooler and it's the first night of a summer camping trip lol

Alright I'm goin back in... will post results.

OP
OP
5StarCustmSolutns
Reaction score
20230204_131219.jpg

took about a 6" chunk of 4 X 6 with a 5/8 hole drilled right along one edge to fit the lug pattern, and 3-4 mild body blows from a 16lb sledge. I could see the splines showing on the outside of clips before my shoulders were past the license plate
Thank you all

gonna assess housing and axles for damages and make a pro/con list for Helical Carrier -vs- 14 bolt 3.42 G80 w/25k miles?

Might start new and see if some of the guys on here who have done one or the other will offer some insight

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 391230

took about a 6" chunk of 4 X 6 with a 5/8 hole drilled right along one edge to fit the lug pattern, and 3-4 mild body blows from a 16lb sledge. I could see the splines showing on the outside of clips before my shoulders were past the license plate
Thank you all

gonna assess housing and axles for damages and make a pro/con list for Helical Carrier -vs- 14 bolt 3.42 G80 w/25k miles?

Might start new and see if some of the guys on here who have done one or the other will offer some insight
Congrats on getting it apart!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 391230

Thank you all

figured that would work, just had to rattle it's brains a little lol

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The temp wasn't a major issue(other than for metal damage) until the wind picked up. Had the truck covered w/6mil plastic and a couple layers of painter drop cloth to insulate so I could actually feel the heater that was under there with me. Wind was the end of that

I commend you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65