Rear axle removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Mulz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Need to pull my axles to do backing plates and back brakes. 2005 yukon 5.3 AWD. My diff is a 10 bolt. My problem is my rear axles don't push in far enough to remove the c clips. Any suggestions?

Chris2144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to remove the cross pin. Then the axles will slide far enough in to remove the clips. The pin comes out with an 8mm bolt. Be very careful with the bolt. Breaking it or stripping it turns into a bad day

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard horror stories about this. Good luck.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Mulz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the pinion bolt out, tried a magnet but I can't get a screw driver or anything to the other side of the clip.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Mulz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok so I got it sorted. The axles just wouldn't push in far enough for a 1 man show. However, put a ratchet strap around the axle and tightened it up, slid it in enough and got my stuff replaced. All new axle seals, rear brakes, backing plates. Just got to fill the diff and I'm good to go!

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it have the G80 posi? If so I can see how it was tricky to get them out, takes me a while to find a thin set of pliers to dislodge those, as a magnet is never strong enough for me.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Mulz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No clue. It is a posi unit but looks like a normal 10 bolt to me. This one is full time 4WD. No 2wd option to switch it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65