rear 1" lift, need longer shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having the Z71 shocks, I believe the Z71 shocks maybe .5" longer than non Z71 shocks.
Bilsteins are supposed to give another 1" travel, I believe only gives .5" extra travel over stock Z71 shocks.

Will that be adequate for a 1" spring spacer in the back?

Sounds like droop suffers, but it suffers in front with my RC 2" level blocks..(have to remove upper arm from knuckle to install)
So I'm also wondering if RC upper arms will allow for more droop. (Or uniballs, but I don't really want exposed joints if possible)

Last edited:

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 1 inch of lift in the rear you should be ok without adding shock extenders, the only shock extenders worth using add about 2 inches to the shock so you need to be lifted enough just to use them.

One thing you can check is jack up the rear and place the frame one stands and let the rear diff hang and unbolt the lower shock mounts and see how much the diff hangs after that, it would give you an idea of the travel range your rear axle is capable of that your shocks aren't giving you access to, IF they were too short.

OP
OP
mikez71

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I won't worry about it and run stock shocks for now!

jeremiahm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put 1" spacers with my factory air shocks, no issues in 2 year/25k miles. I did extend the ride height sensor a bit, but likely did not need to as the change in the angle of the trailing arm at the sensor rod with the 1" spacer was minimal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan