I put ZR2 shocks on my Yukon - need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They overheat. The dampening is eh. The Silverado stuff is a little better than the colorado stuff. Similar to the gmpp stuff.
A proper tuned king or aDS will blow it out of the water.
It’s a great street shock. Comfy. Good for smooth fire roads.

Here is what hall racing has to do for them to not cook to death. Those are massive heat sinks.

Attachments

• IMG_0205.png
    IMG_0205.png
    1 MB · Views: 6

stab6902

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, that's good insight.

I'm not surprised GM prioritized comfort, and that they don't hold up to racing right out of the box.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m going to pm you info if you want yo take those shocks further.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Favored - how did this work out for you? Are you happy with the Fox Front / ZR2 rear setup?

If you articulate much off-road or even on road, don’t use the zr2 multimatics on the rear.

The shock shafts are thin and the main seal head is weak. They easily bend shafts and even if they don’t permanent disform, they leak from the seal head when bending and wear heavily from bending.

There is a company that is working on making new seal heads that have more contact on the shaft to reduce the leaks and wear. But they still over heat and bend shafts.

And that’s in a 4500# truck with a leaf spring controlled live axle,

Our multi link, live axle has a heavier… much much heavier axle and the vehicles weigh 2000# more.

That’s a lot of leverage on these tiny shafts.

Call carbon shocks and get a piggyback shock that is tuned to your liking. Probably $325 a piece.

Ads or kings from ads or filthy will cost a bit more but have heritage.

Fox from accutune same as above.

Plus all of these shocks are rebuildable and tunable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts