raptor liner instead of paint ?.?.?.?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dojrs

Reaction score
I've been contemplating raptor lining my 2005 Tahoe instead of painting it. Biggest reason being I cant find a paint and body person local to me that will do an all over paint job. Has anyone on here done it yet ? It seems like a fairly simple process, biggest thing is time, I work with a paint and body guy but even he doesn't know anyone within a 50-75 mile radius who will do an all over paint job. The more I've looked at it the fonder I've come to it. He told me to sand mine with 180 grit, do my body work, then sand with 220, clean, then spray it. light coats multiple times until desired thickness. I'm thinking either all over grey or either FDE and coyote tan. need some help on ideas and paint schemes from yall. im not opposed to using stencils for a more personalized look

OP
OP
D

dojrs

Reaction score
Well, owning a 2005 Z71, I have thought about a wrap before and even a lower 1/3 liner painting. No more wax jobs. Different look. Wears like iron and easy touch up.
definitely tougher than typical paint, my only apprehension is if i can get it close to a similar gloss shine as a regular paint job. I'm guessing if it were to be clear coated to have a shine to it the clear coat wouldn't hold up as long.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
definitely tougher than typical paint, my only apprehension is if i can get it close to a similar gloss shine as a regular paint job. I'm guessing if it were to be clear coated to have a shine to it the clear coat wouldn't hold up as long.
Raptor liner is not going to shine and be glossy like normal paint. It’s not designed that way.
I will say this…..

keep in mind that if you go this route and for whatever reason don’t like it or there’s major blemishes that need to be fixed in the lining, removing it will be a major pain in the ass. I bought a bumper cover off a junkyard truck that was coated in similar lining and I thought I could just have a shop remove it and then I’d paint the bumper. Every body shop has told me basically the lining isn’t coming off and even if they could get it off the surfaces would all still be rough and un even and painting with regular paint wouldn’t be an option.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the body is pristine, I would say go for it. If there are any rust issues, you'll want to be sure all traces of rust are treated or completely removed.

The liner material is the perfect cover for rust to progress and you would never see it from the outside. If the rust has perforated, the coating could trap moisture and accelerate the rust-out.

I continue to be on the fence on lining an entire vehicle... Looks cool and durable for sure. But I would be afraid of not seeing where rust is eating away at things, having it look great from the outside, only to have it rotting away. Maybe that would not happen, but it is a fear I would have on doing this kind of thing.

Just my personal opinion here... Nobody is locked into agreeing with me on this at all.

Last edited:

tungsten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically You would do this knowing theirs rust issues and the life of the truck is coming to an end anyway say like 5-7 ish years.I was going to do mine for a quick fix but decided to go with paint instead.

Im in a salt area, Ive seen plenty of lined trucks.Does seem to last,some I swear have added 200lbs of it lol.

OP
OP
D

dojrs

Reaction score
If you like a contrast look, go for it. Plus, post pics so I can see if I want to do it.
will definitely post pics of it after it's done. gonna wait until it's warmer weather so it gets a good bond. the weather doesnt get really cold here, however in the next month or so the winter rains will start and I'm rotating back to night shift in the next week for 12 weeks. it'll probably get done mid march or april of '23.

As far as contrast goes it's the factory pewter/grey color now. im thinking I'll stick with the pewter maybe a little darker grey and do a large warrior helmet on the hood, dont know exactly yet. havent put pen to paper yet. i want it to be different but suddle. I'm not trying to go too wild as its still a DD at this point.

My hood is already peeling with the dreaded chevrolet paint disease. If I stay with my factory hood I know I'll have to sand the entire hood and roof to get it right. I've thought about the HD hood swap for a while now and they're hella hard to find used, however I did find the aftermarket HD hood that Summit Racing carries. Has anyone tried it or seen it ? I dont wanna waste $500+ on a thin flimsy sheet metal hood that wont last, but I wouldn't think Summit would offer sub-par materials. If anyone wants to donate ideas on a paint scheme I'd be open to ideas. black and grey seems to be the colors most rolling through my brain.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo