About to try and tackle some fender rust repair. Where do you guys get paint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diesel_dave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Now that I have changed all the fluids, plugs, engine seals, motor mounts, etc. to sort of stabilize the mechanical condition of my newly acquired truck, I am ready to start working on some of the fender rust damage. Most of it is rock chip sized that is starting to rust, but there is one half dollar sized spot that is justtttt barely rusted trough to the other side of the fender. I have been watching youtube videos on how to grind out the rust until you get to bare metal (like drilling a cavity out of your tooth it seems) and then how to fill it in with body filler and sand it down then prime and paint it. I've never done anything like this before so its good that I don't really care if the end result doesn't look great. My biggest concern is just stopping the rust from getting any worse.

So anyways, my question is where do you guys get decent quality basecoat and clear coat when doing these kinds of repairs? I think I will need at least one rattle can worth of paint to cover the area and blend it in decently. There are several online places referred to when I searched the forum, but if any national chain stores sell these paints, that would be preferable to me.

Any tips or tricks before I start this are more than appreciated.

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I’ve had better results with this vs the regular spray cans found at the auto part stores.

OP
OP
D

diesel_dave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I’ve had better results with this vs the regular spray cans found at the auto part stores.
Excellent! Several other people have mentioned the same company so I'm leaning that way given all the positive experiences with their products.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne