Question for the 01-06 people

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got mine with 99k on it (05 denali) but my 01 tahoe I had before I got with 250k on it and it ran great. Sold it at 265k with a lot of life left. That's why I was so quick to buy my denali

OneofFew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This generation is pretty good. Transmissions tend to last an average of 250k. Some people reported lifter issues on the engines. Take your time and find the right deal. Low mileage does not always mean better in a vehicle this age. I bought mine with 240k on it, towed it home, but that's just me- I buy vehicles with one foot in the grave and turn them into reliable DDs.
Take a look at maintenance... a 150k car may not be a better deal if the suspension has not been rebuilt yet and a higher mileage one that has already had a new trans and major things changed may be a better deal.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the higher mileage truck maybe a better option if the trans and some major components have been replaced, like he said^. My 2006 had 74k on it when I bought it three and a half years ago. It’s needed things replaced, and that’s common and I’m ok with that. I’m @ 116k now. And still had all kinds of life in him. Runs very strong and has been an extremely reliable truck!

OP
OP
drakon543

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya im not expecting perfection when buying used vehicles. i usually find something that the owner gave up on and i already know whats wrong with it. but im also terrible with money so i generally let my wife handle the finances. she gives me an amount i go find something in that range. my 97 has been pretty good to me besides self inflicted stranded events or just terrible faulty products. either way we decided to buy a different suv either a different one all together or the next version of the tahoe yukons. she wouldn't mind a jeep but i like my trucks and suvs to be xl. probably going to drag my buddy with me this time too for the extra knowledge and pair of eyes. im a decent diy person but he has been a garage mechanic since he was old enough to have a job. mostly chevy garages but he has also been through a nissan and a dodge dealership. definitely not too stubborn to call him in on a job or just straight to the garage i use when i feel its beyond me.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engines seem to last 2x longer than the trans in these trucks. I lost my 1st trans at 160k..every now and then someone will post a link for really low mileage unit for sale on here. I personally like the 05-06 trucks since u get a lot of options factory that older models have to upgrade to like electric fans and hydroboost although I don't regret getting a 1st year NBS model. I don't have as much to go wrong on mine lol.

If u like upgrades there are some nice modded ones out there that can be bought a lot cheaper than the cost to mod. Post up some examples of trucks u find and I'm sure the we can break them down and let u know a good find.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say 200k or less but like others said it all depends. I have a 2005 Tahoe and Denali, love them both! I'll be keeping them till the end.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i currently have my 97 Tahoe and my wife and i have been debating on moving to the next year model. yukon, tahoe, Escalade whatever i happened to come across that i like. my only real question would be at what mileage would you guys say nope if you were looking? regardless of price lets just go with seller says everything is fully functional and well maintained. i would rather spend my time going to test drive and look over a truck that i can have a better chance of it being dependable. aside from basic possible regular maintenance items at what point are the 01-06 prone to have the engine or transmission ready to go just from normsl wear and tear. i keep hearing this model range goes forever and i dont want to start off with a possible project on my hands.
I traded my 1997 Tahoe that routinely ate brake pads and rotors for a fully loaded new 2005 Z71 Tahoe. It has 160k miles on it with virtually no mechanical problems. It still has the original front brake pads.

willinnashville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought my 05 Denali at 99k in 2011, now has 166k. I'd do it again without thinking twice.

I have the original engine and trans, but have had to replace cat converters, rear pinion seal, gas tank charcoal filter and some weird check valve for that. I came to this from a 99 OBS Suburban, which was fine but started looking a little ragged. The 3rd row rear seats on shorter wheelbase vehicle is pretty sweet. It's considerably more maneuverable than my OBS Suburban was.

The OBS engine you have will last forever after replacing the intake gaskets and injection spider, but the 6.0 in the Denali is a lot more powerful and I've had no problems from it. The transmissions are the same for this generation, although the Denali apparently has a 4L65E, which supposedly good for more hp. The heater hose issues are still there on this generation. The sagging headliners and crappy leather used on the seats are also on this generation, same as yours. I was not much of a fan of the full time AWD until I got it in this vehicle, and now I seriously love it. I wouldn't go rock crawling or mudding in it, but it's great for driving where you're normally drive in adverse weather conditions.

The clear coat on the top and hood is getting pretty jacked on mine, which I don't think was a problem on OBS trucks. I haven't really noticed a difference in MPG between the two, but I drive mostly city. Just like the OBSs I've owned, they're pretty solid vehicles as long as you don't mind paying for gas.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought my 05 Denali at 99k in 2011, now has 166k. I'd do it again without thinking twice.

I have the original engine and trans, but have had to replace cat converters, rear pinion seal, gas tank charcoal filter and some weird check valve for that. I came to this from a 99 OBS Suburban, which was fine but started looking a little ragged. The 3rd row rear seats on shorter wheelbase vehicle is pretty sweet. It's considerably more maneuverable than my OBS Suburban was.

The OBS engine you have will last forever after replacing the intake gaskets and injection spider, but the 6.0 in the Denali is a lot more powerful and I've had no problems from it. The transmissions are the same for this generation, although the Denali apparently has a 4L65E, which supposedly good for more hp. The heater hose issues are still there on this generation. The sagging headliners and crappy leather used on the seats are also on this generation, same as yours. I was not much of a fan of the full time AWD until I got it in this vehicle, and now I seriously love it. I wouldn't go rock crawling or mudding in it, but it's great for driving where you're normally drive in adverse weather conditions.

The clear coat on the top and hood is getting pretty jacked on mine, which I don't think was a problem on OBS trucks. I haven't really noticed a difference in MPG between the two, but I drive mostly city. Just like the OBSs I've owned, they're pretty solid vehicles as long as you don't mind paying for gas.
HaHa! I forgot about the gas mileage as Inhave accepted that’s its far cheaper than having to pay a monthly note. I get 12-13 mpg in town and 15-17 on the highway. Pulling my small utility trailer with anything on it and the mileage drops to about 14 highway. Pulling my pontoon drops it to 7 mpg.

OP
OP
drakon543

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mpg doesn't bother me me either. my 97 tahoe was right around its rated mpg when i first got it. i avg 18-19 usually now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14