Question for the 01-06 people

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i currently have my 97 Tahoe and my wife and i have been debating on moving to the next year model. yukon, tahoe, Escalade whatever i happened to come across that i like. my only real question would be at what mileage would you guys say nope if you were looking? regardless of price lets just go with seller says everything is fully functional and well maintained. i would rather spend my time going to test drive and look over a truck that i can have a better chance of it being dependable. aside from basic possible regular maintenance items at what point are the 01-06 prone to have the engine or transmission ready to go just from normsl wear and tear. i keep hearing this model range goes forever and i dont want to start off with a possible project on my hands.

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought with 136,000. I'm at about 186,000 now. Tuned at about 183,000 and never drove better.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
My neighbor bought an 06 Yukon Denali XL @ 140k for $5.5k from 3rd owner. It has Navi & video package. That was two years ago and still going strong.

eBay sells aftermarket leather replacement upholstery for the Denali for seats needing repair. All the seat bases and bottoms can have leathers replaced w/ new for $3-4h. Arnott in FL has lifetime replacement bags for all 4 corners for approx $100 ea.

The Denali AWD, 4SP Auto, 6.0 cast iron block, stainless exhaust, leather interior w/ heated seats & rear captain chairs, aggressive Denali only bumper covers, rear independent hvac and projector headlights make this 01-06 one of the highest owner rated SUV ever made.

Resales are crazy high on some but they can be cherry picked if you know when to pounce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sold mine at 312k all it needed was a new rear axle and it was good for probably another 300, so it just depends on maintenance really

and I will add that I should have kept it........

Last edited:

06JET

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought mine at 100k without any reservations. I'd say if maintained that 130k to 150k would be a safe buy. I buy used everytime and I always think that if I can get 100k on it after I buy it, without major issues, then it is worth it. These will go well over 200k with out issue.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Bought my 03 back in 2012 with 212,000 on it. It was well maintained and all stock. It ran and drove amazingly well. I didn't have any real issues with it--not until I started modifying it, but that's another story.

OP
OP
drakon543

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i never leave any of my vehicles alone. stock is boring always room for upgrades house and 2 kids keeps my upgrades to a minimum tho.

KookyKoala

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bought mine in eairly 2016, bought it whole sale one owner from construction company with complete service records. 219k on the truck trans gave out at 225k. Other than that it's been reliable now has 255k on it. If it's been towing and has close to 200k look for paper work trans been professionally rebuilt or been serviced and pay attention to trans shift when test driving motor mines been running strong 255k.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Mine had 113. I'm at 140 now, and still making plans. It shows no sign of weakness. I've been looking for another amongst other options for a second vehicle. I think 130 is a pretty good "buy before" number.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Honestly.. It's a tough call.

On one hand, seeing vehicles with 300k in them is pretty sweet, and you know they were taken care of. On the other hand, that's pretty well EOL for a lot of components and you might have an uphill battle ahead of you with it.

Then you have lower mileage vehicles. And that still applies, but the flipside is any poor maintenance may not have reared it's head yet. I got mine at 114k. Thought the maintenance records looked decent, but the front diff had a leak and ran out of fluid. It's pretty borked.

All this to say... A lot of is really depends on ownership and maintenance. Ideally you'd want something well maintained with under 120k on it