Purchased a deslugger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@iamdub I think to fix it the refrigerant would need to be sucked out and have that orifice tube filter thing might be gummed up if YouTube has any say in it.

I'm thinking the same. I've watched a few videos to figure out what components it has and where. IIRC, the rear A/C has its own expansion valve and orifice tube. I thought maybe the valve was stuck, so I knocked on it pretty good with a hammer in hopes to knock it loose.

All my stuff is original and 225K miles old, I had to add a little refrigerant a year ago and the rear A/C is doing what its doing. I think the most sensible course of action would be to open it all up, clean out the lines and heat exchangers (condenser, evaporators, heater cores, etc.), replace all the wear items (compressor, drier, orifice tube/filters and/or expansion valves, all O-rings, etc.) and start fresh. I don't wanna pick at it piece-by-piece, evacuating and charging it every time.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never have gotten to the root cause of it. My compressor is new and it does the same thing as the old one, so I believe slugging is still the problem. But it doesn't do it in warm weather - only in the winter.
strange, as you can see in my signature photo my driveway is angled and I always back in with the nose down, never have had a issue.
my rear ac gave me a headache after I had replaced the digital head control and was not aware it needed to be learned to my vin so it would automatically go to full heat if I had heat turned on at all. that was a learning experience, lol there is a ghost in the machine literally, mine still comes up with a 3rd rear sensor error if you scan it but it no longer affects anything. Mine would stay cool if you had it set for 60, but if you turned it to 61 the actuator would turn and go all the way to full heat.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Trey Hardy The rear air will blow hot when set to hot but when you set it to cold it only blows ambient temperature air.

I think refrigerant isn’t flowing to the rear because the AC lines under the rear or the Tahoe never get cold

Tried my rear A/C today for the first time in a really long time. It took a few minutes but actually got acceptably cool. Wasn't as chilly as that coming out of the front vents. But it was definitely chillier than ambient.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@iamdub That's interesting can you feel the rear AC lines getting colder?

I was waiting, idling in the parking lot at my daughter's high school and I wasn't dressed to be crawling on asphalt. I don't think I could've reached 'em, anyway. Too low. I left it on "AUX" (for the rear A/C) so it should run anytime the front A/C is on. I'll try to remember to check 'em next time.

I did adjust the rear A/C temp to maximum heat and the vents blew heated air. Tested the different vent position settings, etc.

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed one for a while but didn't like the way it cycled the compressor. Hasn't been a problem in the summer, but I still have it so I can always connect it back up if I have trouble in the winter.

I had one on my '09 and I had similar issues with weird cycling. I got talked into buying one from a popup ad on RockAuto when I was buying AC belt, regular belt, tensioner, and idler. I didn't really need it since I hadn't noticed the slugging issue. But I bought it and installed it anyway, and it caused some oddities. Most notably on hot startup when I had been using the AC up to last shut down. Idle would jump around for 30 seconds and would drop too low and almost die. But then it would level off and be normal. It was only after I installed the slugger that it happened.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of a "deslugger". When I realized my AC was acting up, two mechanics told me it was a "slugging" issue and the only way to fix it is to replace the compressor. I tried to just replace the belt tensioner and belt, but every time it started slugging again, it would break the AC belt tensioner and/or the belt. It seemed to work okay at idle,but the second I revved the engine over 2500-3000 rpm's, the compressor would start randomly locking up for a half a second, and it would destroy AC belt tensioner. I literally went through SIX belt tensioners in a two week period before I threw in the towel and ordered a new AC compressor. Ever since I replaced the compressor, it's been running like a champ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM