Purchased a deslugger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, recently I’ve been having this problem where the AC compressor makes a loud bang when it engages during a cold start.

After some research I believe it’s “slugging” so I purchased the deslugger and it should be here in a couple days.

I will update with how it goes. I don’t have a lot of money right now but I really can’t afford a new AC compressor so $50 to extend the life of my AC system seems like a good investment.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, recently I’ve been having this problem where the AC compressor makes a loud bang when it engages during a cold start.

After some research I believe it’s “slugging” so I purchased the deslugger and it should be here in a couple days.

I will update with how it goes. I don’t have a lot of money right now but I really can’t afford a new AC compressor so $50 to extend the life of my AC system seems like a good investment.
I installed one for a while but didn't like the way it cycled the compressor. Hasn't been a problem in the summer, but I still have it so I can always connect it back up if I have trouble in the winter.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Geotrash What exactly is it doing that you don’t like? I didn’t think it would be noticeable.

I think this problem started for me when I moved into a new place where the driveway has the front of the Tahoe facing downhill making the problem worse.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Geotrash What exactly is it doing that you don’t like? I didn’t think it would be noticeable.

I think this problem started for me when I moved into a new place where the driveway has the front of the Tahoe facing downhill making the problem worse.
According to its description, it's supposed to only cycle the compressor on the first time it's engaged after startup. But mine seemed to be cycling it even after driving it a while, so I didn't care for that.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score

When mine made a loud BANG I was going 100mph turning over 6k she left the chat and instantly smoked the belt in the process. New belt tensioner and compressor kit and about 3-4 hours and 500$ or so later she’s back together… definitely a pain to change if you ain’t got the right tools. Of course mine went as soon as I got a decent overtime check and was on my way home after 3 weeks of work. It was 98 that day and I diddnt last 5 min without ac before I pulled into an advance auto. I never had working ac until 2020 when I got my Silverado and I’m ruined now I can’t live without it idk how I did for so long! Lmao

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When this happens, does it shake the whole truck like it is in gear? I keep getting this random cold start she-bang like there is a band still engaged in the transmission for some reason. @NickTransmissions

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

you really shouldn't need it, but if it helps great. since the weather is cooling down you can just take the belt off and get it fixed next year.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@89Suburban No it doesn’t really make a vibration, it’s just a loud bang that you hear. Almost like a truck shifting into reverse with a really loose ujoint.

About 3 seconds into a cold start if the AC is on it will make the sound, other than that it doesn’t make the sound unless it’s been sitting all night.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Doubeleive Going to run it until it breaks and then I’ll fix it. Would like to dig into why the rear AC isn’t working eventually
I never have gotten to the root cause of it. My compressor is new and it does the same thing as the old one, so I believe slugging is still the problem. But it doesn't do it in warm weather - only in the winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n