Problem with my new Volant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtbennett24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K&N 77 kit and Aircharger kit aren't that much cheaper. Both are about $350 for my 2009 5.3L. When it is all said and done, I think a K&N drop in would have been sufficient though.

TunasTwins

2005 Tahoe LS
Reaction score
Was it throwing the PO101 code? That means its flowing more air than the
pcm is expecting and needs to be tuned.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got the check-engine light yesterday after having my Volant on for more than a month. Kind of bummed (though it DID go off today, and hasn't come back on, knock on wood).

Anyone have anymore thoughts on the Volant + check engine light/codes issue? Would upping the octane in the gas do anything to help?

rlschmidt14

Reaction score
I just saw this thread, after I had started one a while back about the same issue. I've spoken with Volant several times and they have refunded my original purchase 5 months later. I had my Volant CAI on my Hoe for 5 months, 10,000 miles and one day on a trip back to NC, it threw the CEL (bank 1 & 2 too rich codes).

They claim that they're working on a new coupler (where the MAF sensor is placed) and should have a new one next year. I'm going to be sent one as soon as they have it ready and I'll update everybody.

Read my thread here:

http://tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18528&highlight=rlschmidt14

dgeorgatos

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Interesting..... I had the same issue and have since removed the Volant CAI. I emailed volant a couple of months ago and never got a response. I emailed them again recently and they finally responded and asked if I changed out the O-ring. I told them I did and never got another response. Sounds like I need to press them some more.

OklabyGodhoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To address the problem; have you reset the codes yet by means of a "reader"? Some codes will not clear as well as others. In some instances driving up to 70 miles is required to reset if a reader is not utilized. If you don't have one you can borrow them at O'Reilly or AutoZone parts stores. If it is the MAF and it has been damaged the codes will not go away until fixed. Reset the codes and then test again to see if it reappears, reset and then try again after 5 min of run time. If the code still appears then all things point to the MAF.

One other thought in passing; contact Volant before dropping any cash for parts and see if they have seen this before and get their suggestions.

Volant1

Volant guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Readers will not clear the codes on the 09+ GM they are still stored in the computer, when you install a CAI on a 09+ GM the battery cable needs to be disconnected or it will throw a code 8 out of our 10 test trucks ran into this issue, If you contacted us and never got a response its possible I never got it give me a call 909 481 3888 thanks Daniel

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have gotten the CEL (due to the Volant) 3 or 4 times since installing it 3 or 4 months ago. I've started to chart it. It'll only come on for half a day as of late, or through a few driving cycles, then go away for nearly a month. I've just added a BlackBear tune, which Justin said will take care of the CEL, so we'll see how that goes.

I, too, got a pretty apathetic email response from Volant when I asked about the '09+ CEL issues... But, we'll see how the BB tune handles things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coops924