Pre-lowered 12 Tahoe. How much?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your drop looks like mine, which is a 2/3 as noted above. The worn liners could also have been from a wider or deeper offset wheel/tire combo. I have 305/40/22 didn’t touch the liners and they’re fine. Also agree on spindles if you’re going to make changes. Here’s mine with a 2/3 for comparison.

EE1C601C-FC6A-468E-B4B2-69E4534068D7.jpeg

03catburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks more 3/5 then a 2/3. And the coil spring supports the load so even if the shocks are wore it shouldn't sit on the bump stops unless spring is wore out or is lower then 3" which is what it looks like

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is ZERO need to do the free travel mod with a 3" drop, I try to avoid cutting things off at all costs because it can't be reversed. Buy the shorter Belltech bump stops, they pop right in. Belltech Sport Trucks and Muscle Cars

Wait, really? I thought that anything 3"+ needs the FT mod? I'm doing a 2/3" in the next couple weeks so this makes a big difference for me!

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is how much room mine has between the bump stop. Mine has Auto Ride and the bags are empty because it’s recently developed a leak. I’ve never bottomed out to where I noticed it. The Belltech bump stops are more like the factory ones in that the material has some give to it. You can also get even shorter polyurethane alternatives if desired. All my research said free travel is required for 4” or more and I don’t like how the 2/4 drop looks like the rear is lower than the front.

036F5BFF-7BD1-4D96-9ACE-C21BE0338316.jpeg

OP
OP
Drwinlied

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely looks pretty close to a 2/3 drop. Riding on the rear bump stops is definitely problem # 1. There is ZERO need to do the free travel mod with a 3" drop, I try to avoid cutting things off at all costs because it can't be reversed. Buy the shorter Belltech bump stops, they pop right in. Belltech Sport Trucks and Muscle Cars

I much prefer a spindle drop to springs but to change to that you would need to buy new factory springs. It looks like it has been lowered for some time so the shocks are probably tired. I would change them out with the Bilstein 5100 and change the rear shock extenders to McGaughys which extend the shock more than the Belltech ones and it should drive significantly better.

The wheel liners rubbing is just what happens when the ride height is changed (higher or lower). They rub on both of my trucks.

Awesome info, thank you. I'll start comparing spindle vs spring setups and go from there. Step one is to eliminate some variable at this point. I'll get that rear off the ground (probably just do a stoppie and run out and check real quick before the rear comes back down...lol) and start taking notes. I'll get a new bumpstop either way.

I, too, like to avoid making "permanent" changes before I've confirmed it's needed. Saves a crap-ton of time and money on things haha. Any time the sawzall comes out...$ signs replace my pupils on my eyes.

I do actually tow with this rig too. Granted, it isn't much, but I posted a pic in my intro thread of it loaded up. The goal is to load it up more at some point (or replace it entirely), but I need to consider towing when making these changes.

Here’s mine with a 2/3 for comparison.

Might be the incline of your driveway, but I feel like my rear is definitely lower based on the pic. I have less than 4" from tire to outer fender.

Wait, really? I thought that anything 3"+ needs the FT mod? I'm doing a 2/3" in the next couple weeks so this makes a big difference for me!

Based on just this thread alone, I'd at least get a low-pro bumpstop with a 3" drop. Sounds like there is close to factory compression on it and will give you a little breathing room. You'll already be back there.

OP
OP
Drwinlied

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post here, everyone. That last post was large, and re-reading your responses I have more to say (SHOCKER).

That looks more 3/5 then a 2/3. And the coil spring supports the load so even if the shocks are wore it shouldn't sit on the bump stops unless spring is wore out or is lower then 3" which is what it looks like

So if Hector is a 3/5, regardless of Spring & shock condition, FTM is necessary.
If he's 3/5 AND a spring or shock is bad, I should just switch to a spindle setup, as I'd replacing spring anyway...

EDIT:
OK. After digging around on Belltech site, I'm fairly confident the kit on Hector is the following:

Front And Rear Complete Kit W/ Street Performance Shocks
Part #: 738SP

having said that, I shouldn't be resting on the bumpstop in the rear (I mean, I shouldn't anyway haha)

EDIT 2:
Got some part#'s but can't find a match on the Belltech site. I'll get a hold of them early next week and see if they have any luck.

* Bumpstop#4925-001 (Belltech) - 2.75"H (edited in)
* Rear shock#410-002 (20 / 18) - note this is stamped on the part, as the sticker on it is worn off from the brake line rubbing; which is also a concern, but it's definitely a Belltech Street Performance shock. - Closest PN on the site is 2410FF; which is for vehicles with 3-5" drop

* Spring# 5323-001-F18 (Belltech) - 4" Drop (edited in)

The rear kit is all Belltech, but I can't get under it enough to find out what the front is. Doesn't say Belltech on it, it's "<something>-a-just" made in Japan. I'll dig into that.

Last edited:

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be the auto ride. It airs up every time I back down the driveway.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gas-A-Just is a KYB shock. They’re decent but wouldn’t be my first pick. I sure wouldn’t want mismatched brands front and rear though.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, FTM is necessary at 3"+ to maintain normal range of motion (ROM). It may not be absolutely required for the vehicle to be driven in a normal manner, but you're awfully close with a 3" drop and no FTM. You'll be fine if you have smooth roads and/or low speed limits. If you hit large bumps or dips at speed and/or tow anything, you'll be using/relying on them bump stops a lot more than you should.

Besides, we don't know for sure what rear drop you have. Those may be 4" (or more) drop coils but the rear isn't gonna drop any more cuz it's on the bump stops.

Yes, once you cut off the brackets, they're gone. Technically, if you don't destroy them, you could weld them back on if desired. I just don't see that ever happening. They'll be gone and you'll have your ROM and ride quality back and you'll never give it a second thought. If you or a future buyer lifts it, they won't be missed then, either.

Get the rear riding how it should and reassess. If the front feels harsh, then you have crappy lowering coils. Shocks don't control ride height, so worn shocks won't cause a vehicle sag.

OP
OP
Drwinlied

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gas-A-Just is a KYB shock. They’re decent but wouldn’t be my first pick. I sure wouldn’t want mismatched brands front and rear though.

Awesome. I'll look into replacing with a better set when the rear is sorted. Speaking of...

IMO, FTM is necessary at 3"+ to maintain normal range of motion (ROM)...

...Those may be 4" (or more) drop coils but the rear isn't gonna drop any more cuz it's on the bump stops....

...Get the rear riding how it should and reassess. If the front feels harsh, then you have crappy lowering coils. Shocks don't control ride height, so worn shocks won't cause a vehicle sag.

Just got off the phone with Belltech. rear springs are 4" drop. Seeing as I tow a small bit of weight, and the rear does sag/get pounded on at freeway speeds, I should do what someone suggested earlier and do the FTM and a low-pro bumpstop. The existing one is 2.75"H so we'll see if another 1.5" helps(that's what she said).

I'll be taking the "fix the rear, then deal with front", approach for sure.

Everyone has been awesome help. thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645