Pre-lowered 12 Tahoe. How much?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Have a couple questions. Apologies for a lack of sufficient detail, but I'm on my phone.

Is there a way to tell how much my vehicle has been lowered F/R? No clue on parts used either.

I bought a used 2012 tahoe a while back and it was lowered by the previous owner (told myself I'd never buy a pre-lowered vehicle...annnnd I lied).

Frankly, the ride is harsh AF so I'm hoping to improve that too. Foremost, however, I need some new tires. I'm looking at wheels/tires in stock 20" sizes.

I want some AT tires, because I am in the midwest.

If anyone knows how to find the lowered level of Hector (that's his name!) and how in the world I can apply that info to both tires and new suspension goodies to lessen the lumber wagon, I'd really appreciate it.

I like it lowered so I'd like to keep it that way. But suspension work is not my wheelhouse (or close to it).

Thanks for reading and any advice. I tend to ramble so this will be fun for everyone lol.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post a picture of the truck and we can likely tell based on that. Also, is it an LTZ with Mag/Auto Ride or an LS/LT with standard shocks? The drop may have nothing to do with a harsh ride. AT tires will definitely not help ride quality (Michelin Defender LTX is all I recommend).

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pictures of rig please and you might look at the rear shock mounts to see if it has shock extenders. The ride quality may just be from old shocks and struts.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics, please.

When you answer the questions posted by the folks above, you'll likely get a quick determination from them regarding your question.

Your question regarding new tires is closely related to the type of driving, and on what surfaces, your do it most on.

OP
OP
Drwinlied

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pics of profile and rear susp, of which I hope you have much advice on (hopefully they are clickable thumbnails). It's an LT with 4wd. Yeah I'm not under the impression it's necessarily the lowering that crapped the ride. But I always leave suspension work to the professionals so I have about 0.01% foundational knowledge to begin with (convenience has a price).

My driveway is a slight incline, but measured from top of tire to inner fender at 3.5/F & 4.5R. That's the inner fender so the non-rolled fender wheel gap is a little under 3 F and 4 R. I imagine that rear would settle slightly on level ground.

Current tires are Bridgestone Duellers H/L. Not like I'm autocrossing this, so they're fine for non-winter...but I like being able to drive in Winter so I just assumed go with AT tires. My last truck had Wrangler Duratecs and those worked great for me...but they are expensive...I'd rather get a cheaper AT just the same. But if those will increase NVH I guess I'm back to research mode for non-AT's. I don't have much experience here, as I've been in cars my entire life save for the truck I leased before I bought this...so I know nothing of 'truck' tires. But I suppose AT have more ply/stiffer sidewalls or something...so makes sense if that's correct.

Hector_DProfile.jpg
Hector_RearSuspDS.jpg

Also - the inner fenders have been worn completely through in both front/rear in spots, so I assume it was much lower at some point...

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna guess that's a 2/3 drop. It looks like it's done "right", but it shouldn't ride harshly. Can't tell from the pic because of the shock, but is the bump stop and bracket cut off the frame in the rear? Get us a pic of the front so we can see how that's dropped.

OP
OP
Drwinlied

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front_front.jpg Rear_frontView.jpg

Bump stop still there; looks janky though. Tough to get a pic of the front because I'm basically doing it blind. Let me know if you need to see a different view and I'll contort as needed. Also it's dusk outside so pics may be crap; I'll take more tomorrow with better light as needed.

Thank you

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 263084 View attachment 263085

Bump stop still there; looks janky though. Tough to get a pic of the front because I'm basically doing it blind. Let me know if you need to see a different view and I'll contort as needed. Also it's dusk outside so pics may be crap; I'll take more tomorrow with better light as needed.

Thank you

There's the reason for the rough ride, at least in the rear. You're resting flat on the bump stops- they are practically your suspension at this point. They need to be removed as well as that hump on the bottom of the frame that they are mounted to (Google "free travel mod"), then bolt some low-profile ones to the bottom of the frame rail itself. This would make a WORLD of difference in ride quality.

As for the front, it's definitely lowered with coils (Belltech or DJM) and what looks to be Belltech struts. I have no experience with them coils. But, I know changing coils alters ride quality from stock. So, either they're stiff drop coils or most, if not all of your harshness is from the rear resting on the bump stops.

OP
OP
Drwinlied

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's the reason for the rough ride, at least in the rear. You're resting flat on the bump stops- they are practically your suspension at this point. They need to be removed as well as that hump on the bottom of the frame that they are mounted to (Google "free travel mod"), then bolt some low-profile ones to the bottom of the frame rail itself. This would make a WORLD of difference in ride quality.

As for the front, it's definitely lowered with coils (Belltech or DJM) and what looks to be Belltech struts. I have no experience with them coils. But, I know changing coils alters ride quality from stock. So, either they're stiff drop coils or most, if not all of your harshness is from the rear resting on the bump stops.

lol you know, now that you say that, it makes 100% sense. It's like having a great idea until you simply say it out loud and realize, 'wow, that's dumb'. I look at that rear section and tell myself, 'idk what this is' and move on. Except I do have a rudimentary understanding of 'things' so if I would have just put some perspective (and effort) into this I probably could have pieced together, "you're sitting on the bumpstop, idiot" haha.

well, that's why I'm here. I can't thank you enough for helping on this. Looks like I'm researching and "installing" Free Travel Mod before winter. I'm willing to bet the VAST majority of NVH in this is from that.

I'll do all of this, get new wheels & tires just in time to sell it for something that tows more. BRILLIANT!

EDIT:
However, is that normal to sit directly on the bumpstop on a lowered vehicle, considering it appears to be a relatively small drop? maybe the rear shocks are blown and it's just literally riding on the bumps lol. oh gawd oh lordy! well now i have to dig into this tomorrow. Thanks again though!

Also, if there is a 'preferred' vendor for the low-pro bumpstops on here, I'll gladly send them some business.

Last edited:

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely looks pretty close to a 2/3 drop. Riding on the rear bump stops is definitely problem # 1. There is ZERO need to do the free travel mod with a 3" drop, I try to avoid cutting things off at all costs because it can't be reversed. Buy the shorter Belltech bump stops, they pop right in. Belltech Sport Trucks and Muscle Cars

I much prefer a spindle drop to springs but to change to that you would need to buy new factory springs. It looks like it has been lowered for some time so the shocks are probably tired. I would change them out with the Bilstein 5100 and change the rear shock extenders to McGaughys which extend the shock more than the Belltech ones and it should drive significantly better.

The wheel liners rubbing is just what happens when the ride height is changed (higher or lower). They rub on both of my trucks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne