Pre-lowered 12 Tahoe. How much?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you’re concerned about towing why not add a 2” or so coil spacer to give you some leeway when towing. Unless you really like the ride height in which case you’re on the right track to getting some more functionality.

OP
OP
Drwinlied

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you’re concerned about towing why not add a 2” or so coil spacer to give you some leeway when towing. Unless you really like the ride height in which case you’re on the right track to getting some more functionality.

I only tow about 6-10 times a year. I need to look cool every day. EVERY. DAY. haha really though we'll see how the FTM goes and work from there.

or a set of helper bags since you’re in there.

I like bags...but I need to keep in check that I may just replace the truck if the market EVER settles down on...well everything...

Now that I've been helped with identifying the drop, I need to address the ride quality. I'll go from there. Easy to do the mod, hook up the atvs, and drag them around the neighborhood for some info...

Again, thanks to everyone thus far.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what I'd do, buy the spacer to make it a 3" drop. Then you still look good, don't have mess with the FTM or bump stops, and can tow with no issues. 3" drop looks cool to me.

EFF1309C-857E-447E-BDCC-3CE679D1B7A3.jpeg

OP
OP
Drwinlied

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For whatever reason my rear suspension is not lowering fully when I'm up on jackstands. This is making the FTM incredibly difficult, as I can't really get tools back there to make good cuts because the upper rear control arm is just chillin pretty much right in the way. I'm going to have to make multiple cuts on the same bracket and slowly work my way towards the top on the inner side of it. IDK. starting with the gas tank side, knowing it was going to be the bear of the two sides. It was Murphy's Law yesterday so I'm hoping today goes slightly better.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
For whatever reason my rear suspension is not lowering fully when I'm up on jackstands. This is making the FTM incredibly difficult, as I can't really get tools back there to make good cuts because the upper rear control arm is just chillin pretty much right in the way. I'm going to have to make multiple cuts on the same bracket and slowly work my way towards the top on the inner side of it. IDK. starting with the gas tank side, knowing it was going to be the bear of the two sides. It was Murphy's Law yesterday so I'm hoping today goes slightly better.

Are the shocks stopping the axle from dropping down?

OP
OP
Drwinlied

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the shocks stopping the axle from dropping down?

yeah I was hoping it was going to drop more than it did w/o having to disconnect the shocks. Simple to do, but they are mighty rusty down there, so I didn't want to chance it and break/strip something. Moot point anyway because after accepting defeat when trying to do with shocks still attached, I disconnected the shocks and dropped the rear. Saw a decent amount of oil collecting on the rear passenger shock; looks to have been there for quite some time.

So aside from riding on the frame, the shocks needed to be replaced anyway. Although I suppose it could be "assembly lube"...but given how old this stuff is...I find that hard to believe.

"Free" travel mod my ass lol jk. I will say the $24 harbor freight reciprocating saw with adjustable head has been awesome. It's a massive safety hazard as it has no safety latch in order to activate and the trigger sticks...but holy crap I realized real quick that I do not have the proper batteries for any of my tools to handle cutting thick steel.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I unbolted the upper arm from the axle, loosened it at the frame, swung it upward then tightened the frame side to hold it up.

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/growing-up-doesnt-have-to-suck.93510/page-19#post-1320078

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cut the outside face that was easy to reach with the cutoff disc, then the forward and rearward faces, hammered an old screwdriver into the slice to pry it down enough to get my prybar in it and bend it down more to reach the backside face with the cutoff wheel, cutting from the rearward end and working forward. When I got to where the tank was, I scored the metal rather than cutting all the way through it, then bent the bracket up and down until it broke off. Then cleaned up the remains with a flap disc and painted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep