Post DOD Delete engine noises

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackjack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My OEM GM lifters soaked in fresh oil for about a month. I also used an old push rod and pressed the plungers in them to push out the air until they were solid. I like my overkill for assembly and first start. It's only overkill until it isn't.

Unfortunately the VLOM got thrown out a week or so ago.
CHECK PUSHROD LENGTH! THIS WILL TAKE A BIT OF LEARNING BUT WORTH IT. WHEN CAM, SPRINGS, LIFTER TYPE ETC CHANGE IN THIS CONFIGURATION THE STOCK AFM PUSHRODS MAY BE TOO LONG AND CAUSE ISSUES OBVIOUSLY. EVEN IF THE 7.400 SHOULD NOW BE 7.375 OR WHATEVER YOUR IDEAL NUMBER IS AFTER USING ADJ PUSHROD LENGTH DETERMINATION PUSHROD' YOU JUST MAY BE SURPRISED!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A completely primed motor makes for a nice first start up

Yup! Oil and fuel systems were both primed. I videoed my first start after the refresh. It fired up immediately and didn't make a single tick. You'd never know it was torn apart and not ran for three months.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHECK PUSHROD LENGTH! THIS WILL TAKE A BIT OF LEARNING BUT WORTH IT. WHEN CAM, SPRINGS, LIFTER TYPE ETC CHANGE IN THIS CONFIGURATION THE STOCK AFM PUSHRODS MAY BE TOO LONG AND CAUSE ISSUES OBVIOUSLY. EVEN IF THE 7.400 SHOULD NOW BE 7.375 OR WHATEVER YOUR IDEAL NUMBER IS AFTER USING ADJ PUSHROD LENGTH DETERMINATION PUSHROD' YOU JUST MAY BE SURPRISED!

Word. I changed the cam, had the heads shaved, installed new valve springs and lifters, had spring heights checked and adjusted and used thinner head gaskets- all of which affect valvetrain geometry and pushrod length. The $28 is a bargain for the Comp 7702-1 and the fun that comes with using it!

Fattdaddy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ugh...I had a similar problem after my first attempt at the cam swap. Turned out to be a failed lifter that started wiping the cam, but we never determined the true cause. Sounded like a loud chirp when it was running but the engine made great power. Must be something else happening with yours if it's not making good power. I agree with the others here - time to tear it down. I'm feeling your pain, brother!
Did you ever find a solution to your problems I’m having the same issue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bearfacemoon2212