Possible to replace wheel studs without taking off calipers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finished replacing all four calipers and rotors, broke in the pads, and realized I wanted to replace the studs too ‍♂️

Is there a way to hammer them out and replace them without taking off the calipers/rotors??

Or do I have to take everything off again?

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only way I'd do em is to pull the hubs/rear axles. I will replace one on the truck if I have a single broken Lug, but more than that and they're coming off and being pressed in/out.

If you're doing them at home pulling them in by the Lug nuts, then you're going to do more harm than good. I've never been able to pull one in with a Lug nut without damaging threads. They do make tools to do it that way, but I go back to if I need to do more than one why not use a shop press.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finished replacing all four calipers and rotors, broke in the pads, and realized I wanted to replace the studs too ‍♂️

Is there a way to hammer them out and replace them without taking off the calipers/rotors??

What is the problem to remove the caliper and the rotors? Only 4 screws, take it of and strap the caliper without disconnecting from the hose with a cable tie or piece of wire.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure I would want to be beating on them without removing the hubs (front) or the axle shafts (rear).

Pressing in with a hydraulic press would be best, but few taps with a hammer and something solid behind the flange for support is an option. Once out, tapping in new ones doesn't seem like it really takes much more than a hammer to get the studs seated.

With hubs and axles removed, you may find a mechanic or machine shop to press out the old and press in the new for you on the cheap...

Unless there is something wrong with the current studs, I would really not poke the bear.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score

I’ve had to reseat them on the side of the road before
Had to pull the caliper and rotor off

Shop diddnt torque the lugs before I left and the wheel knocked everyone loose
After getting the wheel off the majority fell inside the break rotor

Ended up using two wrench’s and a lug nut to seat them
Not the best way to do it but it got me home

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw the auto parts (NAPA, O'Reilly, Autozone, etc.) all listed a specific tool for stud install.
some kind of spacer with a conical indent to mate up with the lug nut. The back side is flat to go against the axle/hub flange. It looks like it makes the pressure even, so as to not damage threads on the stud.

Seems like it would be OK. That might allow the studs to be installed without beating on them.

You still have to knock the old ones out, so maybe back to the idea of something substantial to back up the flange and use the hammer to get the studs out and new ones installed.

OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw the auto parts (NAPA, O'Reilly, Autozone, etc.) all listed a specific tool for stud install.
some kind of spacer with a conical indent to mate up with the lug nut. The back side is flat to go against the axle/hub flange. It looks like it makes the pressure even, so as to not damage threads on the stud.

Seems like it would be OK. That might allow the studs to be installed without beating on them.

You still have to knock the old ones out, so maybe back to the idea of something substantial to back up the flange and use the hammer to get the studs out and new ones installed.

Is this the type you saw?

I have this one and was going to use it to install the new lug studs, which are slightly longer to accommodate the 10mm spacers I’d like to install.

I don’t want wheel adapters, which seem like they have more fail points than slightly longer studs and spacers.

DF38865A-414F-4E72-9D82-70A8E310F23B.png3E6A7F61-CDE2-4055-81A0-8CD6A7C47969.pngD63050A5-DFF0-4A9D-A2A4-9AA31D081D47.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons