Pavel's 2005 Escalade EXT build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great progress! I love the EXTs as well. I’ve always wanted one! I’d love to see what the outside looks like as well! The stereo headunit looks awesome! It looks clean and OEM! Great work man!

OP
OP
iddqd

iddqd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great progress! I love the EXTs as well. I’ve always wanted one! I’d love to see what the outside looks like as well! The stereo headunit looks awesome! It looks clean and OEM! Great work man!

Only minor mods outside so far, and you can see them all in my signature picture: 18" wheels & tires, headlights, mudflaps, flexy antenna.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Audio

Head unit: Joying JY-UM135N2, later upgraded (manufacturer offered upgrade in a form of a new core board, I didn't have to replace the whole unit). Specs: Android 8.0 Oreo, 4GB RAM+32GB ROM, 128Gb SD card (bought separately for music and maps), Bluetooth, rear view camera. It a royal PITA to install a camera in the tailgate of EXT, since it's made of fiberglass and glued together with a double sided scotch tape. But I did it, and also when I was there, I installed a lock actuator, so now the tailgate closes with the remote like all other doors.

It runs Android, so basically the entire Google Play is available. I installed Waze, Torque Pro, Maps, Poweramp and a bunch of other useful apps. I also bought a Dash cam, so now I record everything. It looks neat and factory.

Amplifier: https://www.clarion.com/us/en/products-personal/marine/XC2510/index.html

All speakers are factory so far, I am waiting for them to die, so I would have a justification for a set of a new speakers.

A sub is factory as well.

View attachment 218086 View attachment 218087 View attachment 218088 View attachment 218089 View attachment 218091

Which cameras are you using with it?

OP
OP
iddqd

iddqd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear view camera

I installed a rear view camera in the tailgate. That was a PITA!!!

Some engineer (if that's the right word) at GM decided to make tailgate out of fiberglass. To put the parts of the tailgate together they used double sided sticky tape. To add insult to injury, GM didn't put a lock actuator inside, so the tailgate can only be opened and closed with a key. And it's very heavy, but no torsion installed.

To be fare, in 2007 GM did their homework and the new Avalanche/Escalade EXT had a regular metal tailgate with a power lock, torsion bar and a rear view camera. But for 2002-2006 the owners have to do it themselves.

To take tailgate apart, you need to cut the above mentioned sticky tape. I used just a regular kitchen knife. All the rest is very easy.

So, I installed the camera, a tailgate lock actuator and a torsion bar.

Pix speak louder then words:
20180205_081705.jpg 20180205_081713.jpg 20190307_145430.jpg 20190307_145435.jpg 20190307_145443.jpg

Last edited:

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you have to run a wire from the tailgate somewhere up in to the truck to get it connected to the headunit?! I’ve always been curious about that.

OP
OP
iddqd

iddqd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you have to run a wire from the tailgate somewhere up in to the truck to get it connected to the headunit?! I’ve always been curious about that.
I took out a right bed panel (a major PITA!!!) and ran the wires their, then connected power lock wires to door lock wires, so it opens and closes with the other doors. And the camera cable runs all the way to the dashboard.

I didn't want to run wires on the outside, as it would be subjected to elements and I am not sure that a video cable is rated for that.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took out a right bed panel (a major PITA!!!) and ran the wires their, then connected power lock wires to door lock wires, so it opens and closes with the other doors. And the camera cable runs all the way to the dashboard.

I didn't want to run wires on the outside, as it would be subjected to elements and I am not sure that a video cable is rated for that.
Smart thought on the door locks! Yeah I would think the video cable would have to be covered. I have a back up cam installed with my headunit as well. But I had it installed because I don’t have the experience or skills for that. Lol. And have always been curious about how they worked the backup cam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts