Paint Prep / Body Work Tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SteveB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just blow the dust off. You can use just straight water to wash it if you. Just make sure you get it dry.
When you do the putty put it over bare metal. Then prime it. Make sure to rough it up with at least 80 grit.
Yes that protective tape is a ***** to remove. If you have a heat gun try it on it. Just make sure to get all the glue off. Wax and grease remover takes glue off too.
I have painted lots of stuff without sealer. Sealer is basically used to help cut down on color coats. Your's being black I wouldn't worry about it.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is 2 sided tape. It has no sealing properties , you need seam sealer. It is a caulking made for sealing joints , ask at the place where you got you paint from they will know what it is.
Next time you make it up here , have let me know.

Question 1: I'm thinking in next couple weeks I'll be starting in on body work :) Ordering few misc items to keep project moving along. Assuming this is the type of tape to seal those body panel joints on rear quarter panel / roof. HERE

Question 2: My hood has these really fine cracks in the finish as I sand it down. About the length of a fingernail. Will these cracks seal in (stop streading) with a good 2k primer coat? Or does the hood need completely stripped and redone? Photo below.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got slammed with work and wasn't able to touch truck for a good month. I've got most of the truck sanded down now though. Doing final touches before I start into body work / fixing minor dents etc. Few questions:

1. Do I have to get every spec of the shinny off? I show a bit of what I'm asking in video.
2. Tricky to sand the tight radiuses. Perhaps I need to buy lower grit 3M Sanding pads (scotch bright dealies) or is there a better method?
3. I'm going to remove and paint hood first. Will 2k primer it all as is pretty rough. I saw Wal-Mart had some two part, rattle can, 2k primer. Do I need to be careful about what I use with the PPG OMNI paint I bought?
4. Additionally, Wal-Mart sells Klean Strip Prep All wax and grease remover THIS STUFF. Is that stuff okay? I only have a quart. Auto paint store is an hour away, while wal-mart is 10 minutes.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Got slammed with work and wasn't able to touch truck for a good month. I've got most of the truck sanded down now though. Doing final touches before I start into body work / fixing minor dents etc. Few questions:

1. Do I have to get every spec of the shinny off? I show a bit of what I'm asking in video.
2. Tricky to sand the tight radiuses. Perhaps I need to buy lower grit 3M Sanding pads (scotch bright dealies) or is there a better method?
3. I'm going to remove and paint hood first. Will 2k primer it all as is pretty rough. I saw Wal-Mart had some two part, rattle can, 2k primer. Do I need to be careful about what I use with the PPG OMNI paint I bought?
4. Additionally, Wal-Mart sells Klean Strip Prep All wax and grease remover THIS STUFF. Is that stuff okay? I only have a quart. Auto paint store is an hour away, while wal-mart is 10 minutes.

Wow! That's a TON of work. I like your little progress/ question videos. Fun to see what you're undertaking.

My only (and very minor) input is that 2k is by definition, 2 part. It means 2 "k"omponent, believe it or not. What brand is the Walmart stuff?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks HiHoeSilver, it's WAY more work than I had originally anticipated though I knew it would be a lot lol

I'll have to go back to Wal-Mart and look, funny as it sounds I cannot find the the 2k primer can on their website. But I know I saw it in the store.

That aside, probably Amazon would be even easier. What brand of paint do you recommend for 2K spray can?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Thanks HiHoeSilver, it's WAY more work than I had originally anticipated though I knew it would be a lot lol

I'll have to go back to Wal-Mart and look, funny as it sounds I cannot find the the 2k primer can on their website. But I know I saw it in the store.

That aside, probably Amazon would be even easier. What brand of paint do you recommend for 2K spray can?

I can't really recommend a brand, as my experience is extremely limited, but I can say that in my research I have seen the spray max ALOT.

Spray max 2K Clear Coat Semi Matte https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXOAWXV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_JuqTDb0QEX29C

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious, what do I get to clean my spray gun?

There are quite a few selections to choose from. However they say they work with different kinds of paints?

Minneral spirits are about the cheapest.ae6417fd0b54bd65488f41a63d7fd8ab.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins