Paint Prep / Body Work Tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's awesome, what part of Canada (it's a big place). I have traveled quite a bit up there and used to live by Kingston, Ontario. I'm down in Arizona right now, lots of my clients at work are form Canada though. They help pay for me to tinker with cars lol

I'm curious I ordered my regulator. I also will need another gun (or nozzle) to spray primer. I thought I'd just get a cheap gun for primer. Any thoughts on that? My current is that Devilbiss GTI it has a 1.3mm tip.

Love your truck. So many of us are doing the same thing. I didn't think anybody rebuilt trucks of this vintage yet. It's been a blast. I redid a camaro years ago, and traded that for a vette. Both are nearly impossible to work on (due to space). I can easily take this apart and do whatever I want with it :) Super fun and easy to work on these truck.

SteveB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Wainwright , Alberta. I would love to be down there , winter is just around the corner , compared to here building cars is a bit cheaper down there.....lol.
Yes get a cheap gun for primer. When you go to the paint supply place ask what size of tip they recommend for the primer. I use a 2.0 tip in my primer gun.
Yeah these trucks are much easier than my 98 Camaro by a country mile.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha, I'm typically up in your neck of the woods each year around this time. I spend a couple weeks in the back country. last time I was there though was 2016. I think we took 13 through Saskatoon though. Cannot remember for sure, otherwise we went through your town :)

I dumb, so I got the gutter taken apart. I can easily pickup a couple of pieces of the rubber trim from junkyard. I seem to be completely missing one. However, you mentioned double sticky tape below. I have body molding tape but not sure that's the same thing. This seems to be foam backed, and you mentioned it having a sealing property? Do you know what kind of tape this is?

20190829_192516.jpg

SteveB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is 2 sided tape. It has no sealing properties , you need seam sealer. It is a caulking made for sealing joints , ask at the place where you got you paint from they will know what it is.
Next time you make it up here , have let me know.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is 2 sided tape. It has no sealing properties , you need seam sealer. It is a caulking made for sealing joints , ask at the place where you got you paint from they will know what it is.
Next time you make it up here , have let me know.
Sweet thx :) I will ask at the paint shop.
def let you know next time I am up that way.

Curious what brand of cheap gun works fine for primer. I will prob order off amazon cause am lazy lol

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

SteveB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone really. When I bought my new base gun I used the old one as my primer gun....lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518