Oil Pressure Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thebesta94

Reaction score
Thread #2...

2 weeks ago I drove from florida to colorado, with 3 hours left in trip my oil pressure light came on, I checked dip stick n added a quart which brought me back to full. Light went off but 10 miles down the road it came back on with check engine light... drove back to town, had them check to see if it was holding pressure, it was and no leakage.

I drove rest of trip with both lights on as the truck sounded perfect and absolutely no knocking.

1 day after being in texas all lights went off and gauge went back to reading perfectly.

Yesterday it got down into low 30s here and again my oil pressure gauge shot straight to 80 this time followed by the check engine light before 10 miles down the road it plummeted to 0 but with out the oil pressure light.

Safe to assume this is my sender/oilpressure sensor? I dont know what else it would be as it seems to only act up in colder weather... any tips would be appreciated

nahfwt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's exactly how my oil pressure gauge acted when my sensor went out. It was intermittent for a while and then quit altogether. Replace with an AC Delco unit and change out the screen underneath.

BigPapa1959

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing, Oil pressure light comes on during the cold weather at idle. Once i take off down the road, it behaves normally. I read somewhere that it is because the Oil i'm using is not GM recommended. I'm using high mileage oil since it's at 250k plus right now. I'm due for an oil change so i'm going back to recommended and see what happens.

bmtxl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On a similar subject, ‘02 Yukon XL, 5.3, 210k miles: my oil pressure gauge dances around or flickers at idle and hovers bear normal pressure. once I give it throttle it smoothes out and increases normally. I initially thought it was a sign of a soon to be failed oil pump, but hoping it’s the sensor; any advice?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a similar subject, ‘02 Yukon XL, 5.3, 210k miles: my oil pressure gauge dances around or flickers at idle and hovers bear normal pressure. once I give it throttle it smoothes out and increases normally. I initially thought it was a sign of a soon to be failed oil pump, but hoping it’s the sensor; any advice?

If it moves with the idle moving around, that is normal. How long has it been since the oil was changed?

Wolfbraid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same happened to me, it was the oil pressure sensor on the back of the block, PITA to get at, (don't know if anything is much different 07-15) There are a few oil pressure threads on going(one in the 07+ section too)

I bought a few months ago and switched to full synth, I'm guessing that the prior owner only ran conventional, and that I loosened up some sludge that blocked the filter.(see picture)

it happened again, and I ran an engine flush before the next two oil changes... hasn't happened since

Pics below, I hope they help.(lots of vids on youtube) see if you can find a picture of a removed engine, then you can see what you are looking for.

Parts and Tools Needed:(the long bolt is what you use to extract the filter)
Get the socket from Oriellys, the "OEM" brand one at Autozone is too tall.
The Extension is a wobble style, I tried using a u-joint style wobble, but it was too hard to control.
IMG_20181117_235829667.jpg
Clogged Filter
IMG_20181117_235809841.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10