Oil pressure drop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So to clarify. Replaced sending unit because it had failed. After replacing sending unit. Oil pressure still wasn’t normal. Thus they deemed it to be the unit. They said after pulling it It certainly had scarring.
Thanks for clarifying. There are 2 pieces that are still missing for me to offer clear guidance:
  1. Whether or not they replaced the filter screen that sits under the oil pressure sender. Lots of people make the mistake of replacing the sender not knowing there's a screen under it that's hard to get out and probably 90% of the time the cause of low oil pressure on these engines. My guess is that if the oil pressure didn't change significantly after the pump replacement, that the pump wasn't at fault.
  2. Whether or not they replaced or accidentally damaged the o-ring on the oil pump pick-up tube when they replaced the pump.
Those 2 items alone are responsible for maybe 98% of low oil pressure issues on these engines. After that it's a mixture of leaking VLOM seals, worn cam bearings, a bad oil pressure relief valve at the rear of the oil pan, or a leaking dog bone in the rear of the block.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kchamber

kchamber

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying. There are 2 pieces that are still missing for me to offer clear guidance:
  1. Whether or not they replaced the filter screen that sits under the oil pressure sender. Lots of people make the mistake of replacing the sender not knowing there's a screen under it that's hard to get out and probably 90% of the time the cause of low oil pressure on these engines. My guess is that if the oil pressure didn't change significantly after the pump replacement, that the pump wasn't at fault.
  2. Whether or not they replaced or accidentally damaged the o-ring on the oil pump pick-up tube when they replaced the pump.
Those 2 items alone are responsible for maybe 98% of low oil pressure issues on these engines. After that it's a mixture of leaking VLOM seals, worn cam bearings, a bad oil pressure relief valve at the rear of the oil pan, or a leaking dog bone in the rear of the block.
The pump peformance is certainly better. Before oil pump replacement it would bottom out at startup and the notification for low oil pressure shut off vehicle would come on. So it’s better than it was. I just don’t recall if the photo provide in the original post was in usual range. Another twist is that I live at 7000 feet. Might not matter. But an additional detail.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
As far as I know, the elevation will effect air density, vacuum readings but not mechanical oil pressure readings. Were you shown the "scarred" oil pump damage? Did they ever put a mechanical gauge on the rig before oil pump replacement? I understand you are satisfied with the results but I gotta ask. Was the sensor screen ever mentioned or replaced?

OP
OP
kchamber

kchamber

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As far as I know, the elevation will effect air density, vacuum readings but not mechanical oil pressure readings. Were you shown the "scarred" oil pump damage? Did they ever put a mechanical gauge on the rig before oil pump replacement? I understand you are satisfied with the results but I gotta ask. Was the sensor screen ever mentioned or replaced?
They did show it to me. Never was a sensor screen mentioned.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pump peformance is certainly better. Before oil pump replacement it would bottom out at startup and the notification for low oil pressure shut off vehicle would come on. So it’s better than it was. I just don’t recall if the photo provide in the original post was in usual range. Another twist is that I live at 7000 feet. Might not matter. But an additional detail.
I hate to say it, but I would not be surprised if the true cause of your oil pressure issues was a cracked/failed o-ring that happened to be replaced when they swapped the pump, but if it was scarred, I could be wet in the head on this as well.

As @PNW VietVet mentioned, along with the o-ring, the screen is a very common source of oil pressure issues and if the shop didn't mention it, I would definitely look into getting a new screen or, at a minimum, cleaning the one you have.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have noticed on RA that when you look up the sender for my 2005 5.3 it will show a sender and also a screen depending on the manufacturer. Not to worry though. The screen started with the engines with AFM.

chilleblanco36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I chose to post here rather than start a new post. I just noticed my oil pressure harboring around 20 psi at idle during normal operating temperature. I checked it this morning during cold start and it only went to like 35 psi. Never over 40 psi.

after reading I plan to change the sending unit and the screen/filter before going into replacing the oil pump. It does raise with RPM’s, but never over 40 psi. Only to like 35 or so. Thoughts?

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I chose to post here rather than start a new post. I just noticed my oil pressure harboring around 20 psi at idle during normal operating temperature. I checked it this morning during cold start and it only went to like 35 psi. Never over 40 psi.

after reading I plan to change the sending unit and the screen/filter before going into replacing the oil pump. It does raise with RPM’s, but never over 40 psi. Only to like 35 or so. Thoughts?
I think are ok with that oil pressure.. Just make sure you keep quality clean synthetic oil
in it 5w30 or 5w40. And use a high quality oil filter like wix

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
@chilleblanco36, You may well have a partially clogged screen in that sensor line. I have read many a thread about low oil pressure fix with a new screen and sensor. And, please, whatever you do, do not use a cheap set of parts. I would look up the parts but like happens so many many times, someone posts a question or a problem and gives no vehicle info. I cannot stress this enough: "These rigs are not all the same"! Different years, models, engines....etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n