Oil leak, fix or leave it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

scottg918514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Calling rear main seal.

:sorrysign:

Original thought last year, but removed the inspection cover and no oil, it just collects on that cover and drips there and by filter, only when parked on incline.

Been too hot to deal with it last few weeks.

OP
OP
S

scottg918514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changing plugs today and noticed a sheen when looking down between block and exhaust manifold, see pic (drivers side). I can see the oil filter, but oil leak/sheen is above it.

Where is the leak coming from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

1219274a0457802ade3f62972c81e85f.jpg
c283011998ff6c1e6d42439d8fdec6d0.jpg

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Valve cover maybe :shrug:

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
me personally i cant stand having even the slighest leak so if i find a leak its definatly on the to do list now i kinda prioritize by severity , cost and how difficult it is to replace. i actually just found a little dampness around the diff cover

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Scott, you figure it out?

I just noticed today that I have leak to.

OP
OP
S

scottg918514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Scott, you figure it out?

I just noticed today that I have leak to.

No, I was going to buy a scope today to see if I could determine where, exactly the leak is. But, didn't get a chance.

Either way, looks like a fair amount of work to fix a minor leak. Oil level is still fine after a month, so not much coming out.

Going out now to put a piece of cardboard underneath to gauge how much is coming out.

Will post tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a leak, so what, its just a leak. When things age they leak. I would start at the top of the engine, being the oil flows downhill you will be amazed at what you can find. How about the valley cover seals? cam position sensor? oil sending unit? valve cover seals? you will never know unless you do a good steam cleaning to all of the hard to reach places. there are so many places to leak from, and you can't see all of them.
and for all the nay sayers that say steam cleaning your engine is bad, your full of it. I clean mine 2 times a year and never have any problems with the electronics. just be smart and keep the wand moving.

OP
OP
S

scottg918514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, got bored and went to get the scope. Took some shots of where the leak could be coming from. These are on the drivers side, near, above oil filter. First is a bolt in that area where leak may be from, second is a gasket, could be the pan gasket itself, not sure. The last is general pic of the leak.

Take a look and let me know what you think. Also, does anyone know where to find a good schematic of the gm 6.2 l engine.

86afd32d5e4887de695d5c975834a6e8.jpg
d0c99800b85959f519e50f12d1e19115.jpg
9d37d4a26674378f992ab798ba045d72.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't remember if you did or not but, have you cleaned everything off to get a better idea of where it could be coming from?

I had a minute before it got dark and decided to climb under and check it out.
I didn't have a scope but I did have my expandable/adjustable mirror and flashlight, hah. I didn't see any signs of a leak anywhere up top or for that matter anywhere but the pan and oil cooler block. I cant really tell at the moment so, I wiped everything down and will check again tomorrow.

OP
OP
S

scottg918514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't remember if you did or not but, have you cleaned everything off to get a better idea of where it could be coming from?

I had a minute before it got dark and decided to climb under and check it out.
I didn't have a scope but I did have my expandable/adjustable mirror and flashlight, hah. I didn't see any signs of a leak anywhere up top or for that matter anywhere but the pan and oil cooler block. I cant really tell at the moment so, I wiped everything down and will check again tomorrow.

Cleaned up the area around filter and pan when i changed oil last month. I'm going to clean as much as I can tomorrow, then check with the scope again after a drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris709

Latest posts