5.3 Oil Pressure Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh...interesting. I've bought parts from this seller before and they came with the AC Delco hologram seal on the box. Specifically, charcoal canisters. Those seem to be receiving good reviews. Makes me wonder if the assertions of fake parts is real in the reviews for the OP sensor, or if the quality of manufacture was just poor for a period of time. Either way, I tend to mostly buy from Rockauto and will avoid Amazon parts completely from now on.

Last edited:

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Years ago, all products of same sku were dumped into the same bin, regardless of source. So if a third party seller (sold by ABC shipped by Amazon) sent in counterfeits for fulfillment, it got dumped into the Sold/Shipped by Amazon bin in the warehouses. There was no way to trace the source. Not sure if that still exists, but it I am leery. For sensors and stuff I want a higher confidence of being legit, I buy from Summit or an eBay seller that is an AutoNation Chevy dealer.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Years ago, all products of same sku were dumped into the same bin, regardless of source. So if a third party seller (sold by ABC shipped by Amazon) sent in counterfeits for fulfillment, it got dumped into the Sold/Shipped by Amazon bin in the warehouses. There was no way to trace the source. Not sure if that still exists, but it I am leery. For sensors and stuff I want a higher confidence of being legit, I buy from Summit or an eBay seller that is an AutoNation Chevy dealer.

it well could be something like that. you get some good ones, and some random ones. I have no idea. i honestly don't know if it's legit or not, and if so they got me twice. after seeing the part and the bag, I'd have bet it was 100% but after some weirdness, I just don't know.

of course the good way to know is a mechanical test gauge in the plug at the front. that is straight off the pump. but Dan be hard to get to. you could possibly have a pump with a stuck bypass as well. that web cast mentioned it happening sometimes. very small clearance in the bore. if it sticks open, it would bypass a good volume.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta love this forum! As a matter of fact, I did buy the "ACDELCO" oil pressure sensor from Amazon because it was like $30. I remember thinking at the time, "how can Amazon sell them for half the price of an auto parts store?" However,then moved on to "it's an ACDELCO part, so what do I care?" Sounds like a screen and oil pressure sensor change (to a real GM part) would be a good things to do this weekend. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Looking at this one (I assume GM genuine on Rock Auto is legit?):

Does anyone know the "criteria" for the check engine light and P0521 code? I've read somewhere that its very low, like 6 psi or something like that. It has me thinking perhaps my sensor is going bad because I haven't noticed anything this low since I put the (maybe/maybe not ACDELCO) oil pressure sensor in a year ago.

this is going to be different than your truck, this is for the hybrid aluminum 6.0, it's an oddball and uses a veriable displacement oil pump with vanes like the LT engines. but to get an idea of the logic the ecm is using to set the code. if I remember, I can probably find what your trucks specifically looking for.

oil pressure spec hot
36psi @1000
42psi @2000
45psi @4000
afm relief valve 55-75 max.
p0521 ecm detects different oil pressure than expected by lower 6.8psi or greater than 7.3 psi for 10sec

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this should be your truck..

Attachments

• PXL_20230323_003614663.jpg
    PXL_20230323_003614663.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20230323_003737200.jpg
    PXL_20230323_003737200.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 16

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2019's gauge displays around 20 PSI at idle up to around 40 PSI while driving running 0W20 Kirkland Signature full synthetic. Same results now at 6,000 miles since last oil change. Dash oil life monitor is currently displaying 19%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts